38

September 2

HARRY

I sat back hard against my couch, immediately leaning forward towards my laptop. I opened the Skype application, moving the icon to the side of the screen, allowing myself to open a browser as well.

Lane was due to call me any minute, for a prearranged Skype date. I had teased her the week before that I had yet to take her on a proper date, to which she demanded candles and roses. Of course, she had been joking, but I am nothing if not a man of observation.

Currently, there sat countless candles around my living room, all flickering with the gentle glow of flame. Some single wick, some multiple, and some fancy assed candles with some fruity name that Niall had suggested. How he actually knew the name of some candle company was beyond me, and it honestly made me question his stability.

Coming home the day before with a bag full, I had set them around the living room, continuously stepping around the side of my coffee table to observe their view and set up from where the laptop would be set. I was more difficult than I realized, this endeavor, as I tripped over one, sending another flying across the room and marking my wall.

Stupid fucking candles.

On my way home from my run that morning, I had picked up a dozen roses. Bringing them home, I had the plan to set them in a vase in the middle of my table, a nice little additive along with the candles for our virtual date. The one snag in my plan, however, was upon my return home when I realized I didn't even own a fucking vase. I was a guy. What single guy had a vase for roses? Running out again, I had to swing by the local shop, and pick up some simple glass container, round and clear, and make it home in time to fill it with water, and throw the damn flowers in.

This whole romance thing was a lot more stressful than I planned.

After a rather hectic morning, I had showered, changed, and lit my stupid candles. Closing my blinds to block out the glare of day, it allowed for the light from the candles to overtake the room. It was almost ten at night in Somalia, but only noon here in Seattle. There was a lack of romance in the candle department when they had to battle for dominance against the sun.

Now, I just had to wait.

Turning my attention to my browser, I checked my email, returning one to Louis telling him I would not give him my email password so he could send anonymous flirty messages to some girl in his building, as well as one to Liam telling him I would try and be home he and Niall's joint birthday part the coming week.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity of waiting, the indicative chime of Skype rang through my home. Answering the call, I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw her.

"Hey," I grinned, leaning forward on my elbows.

"Hi," she waved, her eyes on me, before dropping to look around the room. "Harry?"

"Yeah, babe?"