35

July 13

HARRY

Climbing into my bed, I was drawn and exhausted. I couldn't decipher which part of me was more worn; my mind or my body.

My body was battered and bruised, feeling the strain of my increasingly intense workouts over the last week. I had found that as a replacement for my snappy and temper ridden attitude, exercise was a good alternative to work off the energy and frustrations of my day. Granted, most of my snarky comments were still travelling through my mind at warp speed any time someone said or did something to piss me off, but I had become more skilled at curbing my immediately inclination to point out what a dumb fuck most of humanity was.

I had taken to waking early, before my preparations for my workday, and going for a short run. Just five miles, to wake my system and get my blood flowing. I was never much of one for sleeping in, feeling like the best part of the day was before the majority of people were awake. It was quiet, serene, and you didn't have to dodge others just to get around. After work, I would come home, change back into my sweats, and go for another run. This one tended to be longer, usually through the relaxing trails that I had found in the neighboring areas. I would take my time, enjoying evening air, the escape into the small seclusions of nature that were hidden within the city. Coming home, I would do some push ups, crunches, and other stretches in my living room, before retreating to my shower.

I found I was reveling in these workouts, both as a distraction and a good form of stress relief. My mind found it more difficult to think of my worries when angry rock music was blaring in my ears, my focus being on my feet pounding the pavement, or navigating the paths in front of me.

My mind, on the other hand, seemed to be working just as hard as my body. It had been over a week, with not a word from Lane apart from one single email sent yesterday. It was short, just saying she was fine, and would call me soon. Despite the fact I had asked her to at least let me know she was well, I had still hoped from more from her. Was she really that angry with me over this? Was my concern for her really warranted with this kind of a response?

Today, after a long, tiring day at work that had me literally dodging Christina on several occasions, the softness and comforts of my bed were incredibly welcome. Slipping between the sheets, I sighed loudly as I threw myself back against the pillow, my arms flaking out to my sides.

I loved my bed. This was a good bed. It was a nice place to be. The only thing that would make it better would be Lane beside me. If she would just stop being so God damn stubborn and pissed at me all the time.

I frowned at the thought of her. Why were all girls so fucking complicated? Granted, I had never taken the time to pay them much mind before her. They were a fleeting fixation, a pleasurable way to pass a lonely night. But just as quickly as they came into my life, they were gone, and I was just fine with that.

Now that I had found one I actually wanted around, I started to realize what my mates had always been complaining about. Women were unpredictable, moody, and always kept you on your toes. They said they wanted one thing, but then seemed to always choose the other. Whenever I thought I had her figured out, she threw me for a loop, changing all the rules. She was exasperating and invigorating and exciting and frustrating.

God, I missed her.

Then, of course, there was the unwelcome advances of Christina. She was another girl I wished I could understand, but for completely different reasons. Whereas with Lane I wanted to understand her thoughts and feelings to make her happy, to be everything she could ever want, with Christina I just wanted to figure out how the fuck to get her to leave me alone.