Covert Expedition - Chapter 66

"You imbeciles! Do you truly believe you can just waltz in here and take me down at your leisure?" Thorne's voice boomed across the clearing as he caught sight of Yzavynne and Kazaks slowly closing in on him, mere yards away.

"Now!" Kazaks' command reverberated through the air, a signal for action as both he and Yzavynne sprang from the concealment of the tall grass, moving to subdue Thorne.

"Got it!" Yzavynne responded with equal fervor, her form poised mid-air.

"Idiots," Thorne spat with disdain as he readied his broadsword, aiming a vicious strike at Kazaks' chest. Though the blow made contact, it failed to inflict a fatal wound, thanks to Kazaks' nimble evasion that lessened the impact.

"Huh?! The wound isn't as grievous as expected? Did he manage to dodge my blade in mid-air, altering his trajectory? Impressive. It seems these adversaries are no ordinary fighters," Thorne muttered to himself, studying Kazaks' injury with a mix of surprise and admiration.

Seizing the opportunity, Yzavynne descended upon Thorne from behind, swiftly wrapping her arm around his neck in an attempt to render him unconscious. Meanwhile, Kazaks, though momentarily staggered by the strike, quickly regained his footing and rushed to assist Yzavynne.

"Bravo, bravo. Kazaks and Yzavynne!" Thorne murmured with an unsettling calmness, eliciting a sense of unease in Yzavynne as she maintained her hold on him.

"Huh?" Yzavynne muttered, her confusion evident as she applied pressure to Thorne's windpipe from behind.

Thorne's eyes narrowed as he faced off against Kazaks and Yzavynne, the tension crackling in the air like lightning on the eve of a storm. With a grim determination, he squared his shoulders, ready to confront these formidable adversaries.

"You dare challenge me, Thorne, leader of the Ravens? You'll regret crossing paths with the likes of us," Kazaks warned, his voice steely with resolve as he brandished his weapon.

"We've come to put an end to your reign of terror. Your days of preying on the innocent are over," Yzavynne added, her tone matching Kazaks' in its unwavering determination.

Thorne scoffed, a smirk playing at the corners of his lips. "You two think you can defeat me? You're nothing but mere insects compared to the might of the Ravens."

With a swift and sudden movement, Thorne lunged forward, his hand darting out to grab Yzavynne by the waist. Before she could react, he effortlessly hoisted her into the air with a single powerful arm, sending her hurtling skyward.

Yzavynne gasped in shock as she soared through the air, the ground rushing up to meet her with terrifying speed. But before she could crash down, Kazaks leaped into action, his muscles coiling like a spring as he propelled himself upward with a mighty leap.

With lightning-fast reflexes, Kazaks reached out, his fingers grazing Yzavynne's arm as he pulled her close. With a grunt of effort, he adjusted his trajectory, guiding them both safely to the ground in a controlled descent.

Yzavynne breathed a sigh of relief as she landed softly in Kazaks' arms, her heart racing from the adrenaline-fueled ordeal. "Thank you, Kazaks," she murmured, her voice filled with gratitude.

Kazaks nodded, his expression grim as he glanced back at Thorne, who watched the exchange with a mixture of frustration and begrudging respect. "We're not finished yet," Kazaks vowed, determination burning bright in his eyes as he prepared to continue the battle against the formidable leader of the Ravens.

As Kazaks and Yzavynne prepared to face off against Thorne, they suddenly found themselves surrounded by a sea of bandits, their menacing forms emerging from the shadows like specters in the night. Thorne's followers, loyal to the end, had rallied to their leader's side, ready to defend him against any threat.

"His name is Thorne. I remember hearing tales of him years ago—a bandit of formidable strength who once served the King of Solaria until his downfall. His wife and child were slain on the false accusation of treason against the king," Yzavynne recounted, her voice tinged with a mix of awe and apprehension as Kazaks stood by her side, silently listening.

"Oh-ho? So you're familiar with my name, young lady," Thorne remarked, his tone laced with a hint of curiosity.

"Yes, indeed. Your name echoes through the annals of history, though your face is new to me. It seems fortune has favored us, allowing us to witness firsthand the might that brought kingdoms to their knees," Yzavynne replied, a thrill coursing through her veins at the prospect of facing such a renowned adversary.

"Then let the dance begin," Thorne declared, his grip tightening around the hilt of his broadsword as he braced himself for the impending clash.

"Prepare yourselves, men. It seems we have a guest of honor tonight. I trust you'll make her stay an entertaining one," Thorne instructed his bandits, a sinister gleam in his eye as he gestured towards Yzavynne and Kazaks, who stood firm in the face of their adversaries.

The bandits leered at Yzavynne with lustful gazes, their intentions clear as they closed in around the duo, their numbers overwhelming.

"Thorne, leader of the Ravens. He's claimed the lives of several Royal Knights. I've heard tales of his exploits from Master Gargeal," Kazaks muttered under his breath, his nerves on edge as he exchanged a wary glance with Yzavynne.

"Now's the time, Yzavynne," Kazaks urged, his voice low but urgent as he nodded towards his tattoo of Wrath, a symbol of their shared determination.

"What do you mean?" Yzavynne questioned, turning to face Kazaks, her eyes widening in realization as she noticed the tattoo on his forehead.

Kazaks smiled nervously, knowing the risks they were about to face. Without hesitation, Yzavynne revealed her own tattoo, its symmetrical patterns and central eye mirroring Kazaks' in a display of unity and resolve.

"Huh? What's this? Tattoos suddenly appearing on their foreheads? How peculiar. Did they enlist the aid of a sorcerer? Intriguing," Thorne mused to himself, his interest piqued by the unexpected turn of events.

"Hey, Thorne and you degenerate bandits! My friend and I are ready to give it our all. Make sure to give us a show, won't you?" Yzavynne called out boldly, a mischievous grin playing on her lips as she prepared to face whatever challenges lay ahead.