Shadow Reckoning - Chapter 115

As the morning light gently kissed his eyelids, Kazaks stirred, his senses slowly returning as he blinked away the remnants of sleep.

"Wha— Where am I?" he muttered, his voice tinged with confusion and grogginess.

With a sudden jolt of realization, he shot up, memories of the spear piercing his chest flooding back with startling clarity.

"AAAAH! What's happening?!" he exclaimed, panic seeping into his voice as he frantically surveyed his surroundings.

His eyes widened as he took in the sight of his bandaged chest and abdomen, a groan escaping his lips at the discomfort.

"Hey there, sleeping beauty, you're finally awake!" Qarek's boisterous voice rang out, followed by Leeani, Andhur, and Zach rushing to his side.

Kazaks blinked in bewilderment at the sudden flurry of activity, his mind struggling to catch up with the whirlwind of events.

"Wait, what's going on?" he managed to utter, his confusion evident in his voice.

Qarek, ever the joker, couldn't resist adding his own brand of humor to the situation. "Looks like the cat hugger's back in action, folks!" he quipped, earning a round of laughter from the group.

Amidst the laughter, Leeani's warm smile softened the atmosphere, her concern shining through as she spoke. "We're just glad you're okay, Kazaks," she said softly.

Andhur's infectious grin mirrored Leeani's sentiment, his jovial demeanor easing the tension in the air. "Yep, glad to see you back on your feet, buddy!" he chimed in.

Zach's steady voice cut through the joviality, his concern evident as he checked on Kazaks. "How are you feeling now?" he asked, his gaze fixed on his friend with genuine concern.

Kazaks, still trying to make sense of the situation, furrowed his brow in confusion. "Wait, what happened? Tell me what happened first," he requested, his voice tinged with a mixture of curiosity and apprehension.

Qarek, ever the straight-shooter, wasted no time in recounting the events. "You were lying on the ground, bleeding, with a spear pierced into your chest, slashes all over your body, surrounded by the warriors," he explained, his tone matter-of-fact but tinged with concern for his friend's well-being.

The realization dawned on Kazaks, his memory flooding back in a rush of clarity. "Oh, that... I remember now. But first, I'm hungry! Please, give me some food. And water! I'm as thirsty as a desert cactus!" he exclaimed, the urgency in his voice undercutting the seriousness of the situation.

Andhur, always quick to act, chimed in with reassurance. "Got you!" he declared, his expression determined as he prepared to assist Leeani in fetching supplies.

"We'll get it for you, just stay here, remain seated, and rest," Leeani reassured Kazaks, her voice calm and soothing as she conveyed her concern for his well-being.

With a nod of agreement, Kazaks settled into his seat, Qarek joining him in a gesture of solidarity. Meanwhile, Zach maintained a watchful presence, standing close to the edge of the ship as it gently rocked with the rhythm of the waves.

Amidst the tranquil setting of their conversation, Kazaks hesitated before sharing a piece of crucial information with Captain Zach and Qarek.

"Oh yeah, Captain Zach. Lyra and Seraphina and the other fishermen and hunters, they now know our true identity as the Renaissance band. Sorry, I forgot to tell you during the skirmish back at the Aeolantis," Kazaks confessed, his tone laced with a hint of remorse.

Zach, ever composed, reassured Kazaks with a calm demeanor. "Don't worry about that, Kazaks. We already know that. Situation of Yzavynne, about Seraphina, and our identity revealed to them. We've talked about it the night before we reached the shore of the Aeolantis after coming across their boats. Importantly, one thing I'm worried about the most is Nert," Zach explained, his voice steady and assured.