Chapter I || Mr. Afton

*Henry's POV*

"This house is...interesting since the last time I saw it." Elizabeth remarks, and I set my bags down to unlock the door.

"My sister has been coming around to take care of it...you know, I haven't talked to her in at least a decade." The door creaks open, and Elizabeth takes her bags, walking inside.

She coughs, inhailing dust. She rolls her eyes at the comment I made earlier, about my sister coming to care for the house. "Are you sure she came in here in the past 10 years?"

"Nope." I take my bags and set them down, closing the front door. "Besides, I broke ties with her after she tried to convince me that Ella—Charlie's doll wasn't her. I regret that so much now..." I sigh, looking around at the space around me. It was as if this place was a time capsule trapped in the late 70s. The record player with all of my vinyls sitting under it was still sitting on the living room table. "Ah- sorry, let me show you to your room, Elizabeth..." I apologize, getting too caught up by the memories.

"No, I know this place like the back of my hand." Elizabeth smiles as she picks up her bags again, heading upstairs. I let myself get sucked back into the recollection of all these memories.

In my mind, she's still here. Truthfully, William was the one responsible—but I knew that all along, and did nothing. As I look back on my past mistakes now, only if I wasn't as helpless as I was then, maybe I might have done something. Maybe my Charlotte would still be alive, but for now, I have to stick with Elizabeth. She lost her father after she burnt him alive, along with the pizzeria and...everything. She sacrificed it, for us. Truly, I am forever grateful. Inhailing a large amount of dust brings me back to earth, I cough, running to the sink to get the relief of water. Turning the faucet on, I tilt my head as the cold, refreshing water runs down my throat. The faucet squeaks in agony as I turn it off again, and I grip the counter, gasping for breath.

"Dad, are you alright?" Elizabeth calls down the stairs. I watch her as she walks down the stairs, somehow effortlessly doing such in heels. "I found a letter on your desk. Maybe you should read it." I take the note from her.

Dear Henry,

I've never considered writing a letter until just now. If this got to you, and you're reading it now, obviously you're still alive. I guess I should formally invite you to my home. Listen, I know you have noo ideaa who I am, but when you see me—You'll know, trust me. I know Elizabeth is with you, as well. On the back of this paper I have left the address to my home, and a key. I can only hope to see you there, Henry.

Best regards, Mr. Afton.

My eyes flicker over to the ending, and I hold myself against the counter. "This must be some joke... Mr. Afton?!" I turn the note over, asking Elizabeth if the address is familiar to her.

"That's the Afton house. I didn't know anyone still resided there, especially an Afton." Elizabeth's voice shakes, "It can't be William, we both know that. He's dead." Elizabeth takes the note out of my hands. "What are you waiting for? Let's go."

I suck in a breath as Elizabeth gives me an impatient glance. Maybe she's right, I think. Taking a few steps, I check my pockets for my car keys. "Maybe we should wait a few days... I mean, I don't want to unfold more trouble since we just got done dealing with William. Carlton is still in the hospital, and besides, Afton's are all trouble." I take my hand out of my pocket, putting a hand on my hip. Elizabeth crosses her arms.

"Tommorow, then?" She pleads. I narrow my eyes, and after a little bit of bickering, she finally convinces me.

"Why don't we go see Carlton in the hospital?" I recommend, grabbing my car keys. Without her approval, I was just going to go anyway.