42: Xenia/Romano.

Xenia Butler

The sharp edge of Romano's teeth plunged into my bottom lip. He fisted my hair and led me to the extreme walls of the shower, urgency pumping hot air to my neck.

The time he tenderly scratched and brushed away the remnants of candle wax from my skin, it served as a gentle reminder of the erotic moments that had led to its presence.

When he turned me around to carefully unbraid my hair, my thoughts drifted back to just moments ago, enveloped in the warmth of his touch. He had an innate ability to make my body his own, guiding me to moments of pleasure that surpassed the physical. His skill was undeniable, leaving me with a sense of awe and contentment. While I lacked the experience to compare him to others, I knew in my heart that nothing could be more exceptional than this.

As for Angelo, I found myself unable to fully comprehend that moment, often interrupted by feelings of irritation whenever I attempted to reflect on it. And in the times had been bold enough to compare the experience between both cousins, I had come up with a conclusion: they were nothing alike; Romano was better in every way possible.

"I want to visit Joanna tomorrow," I confided, noticing the subtle stiffness in his demeanor as if it was the last thing he wanted to hear. Eventually, he nodded. "Are you okay?"

A faint click echoed as his tongue met his upper teeth. "Yes." But his actions betrayed his true feelings. When he kissed me forcefully, attempting to suppress my curiosity, I knew he was avoiding something. "So, tattoo shop first, then Joanna," he continued, pausing once more. "You'll stay here, won't you? I've got things to do later in the day."

I urged to plunge deeper into his world, to witness firsthand the complexities of his actions, rather than relying on stories recounted by Ivan. He had dispatched Jerry and his father to hell with brutality I bet, the same hands that had driven me to climax a little while ago. Conflicted emotions swirled in my chest as I grappled with the desire to fully invest in him.

"Where?

He smirked, clearly amused by my interest. "Bologna."

My head spun, eyes widening in surprise and dread. "W-when do..." I swallowed hard, a wave of fear, anxiety, and loneliness crashing over me. "For good?"

"No, Xenia. No, not for good." His fake smile didn't exactly pair well with his reassuring statement. "I've got to rendezvous with Ottavio for something. I'll be back right after."

With that, he finished scraping off the wax from my skin, then turned on the faucet and stepped under the shower. As the water cascaded over him, he brushed his hair back, standing with his hands on his waist and his head bowed in deep contemplation.

Romano wasn't fine. I sensed that much as I pondered over the myriad of possibilities that could have unfolded during my absence. However, the book had been the pinnacle of his concerns, at least from what I knew. Did he still have fears of it resurfacing? Or was this something entirely different, something more troubling?

"Is this about Kate?" I ventured cautiously, trying to read his expression for any clues.

"Stop worrying about Kate." He was so calm, giving no indication that she wasn't the cause of his distress. "She's checked in."

"Having your baby, regardless." I felt a lump form in my throat as I pointed that out.

Romano turned off the faucet but remained unmoved under the shower. He didn't budge, simply sighing heavily, staring as the water ran through the outlet.

"What do you intend to do with me, with her?" The question escaped my lips almost instinctively, leaving me wondering why I was suddenly probing into this matter after fueling the flames of certainty between us by agreeing to this. To him.