A Break In The Action (Volume 7 Chapter 9)

A/N:

Sorry for the 1 month of no updates! Been really busy IRL, but I've squeezed some time to write this chapter out! Hope you lot enjoy, this book's been so much fun to write :)

---------------

Somewhere in the middle of Solitas, high in the sky, Team RWBY looks down from the Manta at the ground below them. The cold chill blows through the airship, a feeling they've grown so familiar with, yet a feeling they can't ever get used to. Even with a week full of missions under their belt, adapting to such weather conditions has proven tough for everyone.

But, this mission was different. This was Team RWBY's first official mission as a team. And, it was probably the most important one thus far.

The four girls leap out of the airship and perform their landing strategies on the soft snowy ground. Ruby uses her Semblance to sail to the ground safely, Blake uses her ribbon to hook onto a rock to stop her momentum, Weiss forms a trail of glyphs, and Yang fires shots from her gauntlets to negate all her momentum.

As the girls land, Ruby sheathes Crescent Rose and opens up her scroll to view the map of the area. The 4 girls were a ways away from the launch site, not too far from the SDC mine that houses the launch site. From where they stood, they could see trucks filled with resources piling in to fix the wreckage of the launch site, as well as silhouettes of Atlesian soldiers and robots.

Glancing around them, Weiss finds themselves standing before some summit. But, before she could analyze further, the communicator in their earpieces pitched.

"Team RWBY, this is Clover. Judging by the signals on our radar, I'll assume you've all made it to the targetted location."

Ruby nods and responds.

"Yes, we have! Safe and sound!"

Clover hums.

"Good. As mentioned in the debrief before, around this summit, there has been an abnormal increase in Grimm sightings that we think are related to yesterday's incident. You are to investigate the summit, discover the source of the Grimm's sudden presence, and clear out the Grimm in the area. Understood?"

"Yes, sir!" Ruby declares.

"Awesome. If you require assistance, there is no shame in a tactical retreat. We have no idea what to expect. Take care, stay safe, and good luck."

Clover closes the voice channel. Ruby then turns to her team and pumps her arm.

Ruby: Alright, Team RWBY! Our first mission together is right here on this summit!

Yang pumps her arms and smiles back.

Yang: Yeah! An extermination mission by the sounds of things, too? I can't wait!

Weiss clicks her tongue and shakes her head.

Weiss: Not JUST an extermination mission, mind you. We're here to investigate, NOT to destroy everything in sight.

Blake: We should also exercise caution. To be frank, I'm not too fond of our chances if the Grimm that Heath and Y/N encountered lurk around here.