The Indomitable Spirit (Volume 7 Chapter 10)

A manta flies towards Atlas Academy as the sky behind the carrier starts to darken. Atlesian uniformed students look up, alerted by the loud sound of its engines as it docks by the landing bay.

The carrier's ramp opens to reveal Team RWBY accompanied by a few Atlesian soldiers as they walk towards campus. Ruby opens her scroll, checking her inbox with Ironwood as the team heads to the headmaster's room. Opening the doors, their eyes slightly widened as each member of the Ace Ops, barring Grace and Ironwood himself, were present. Clover walks up to them with a smile and his arms spread out.

"Great job out there, Team RWBY. Glad to see you're all back safe and sound."

Ruby awkwardly giggles as she rubs the back of her neck.

"It... wasn't that big of a deal, but thank you."

From behind, Harriet steps forward and stands beside Clover.

Harriet: The scrap metal.

She holds her hand out, to which Weiss reaches into her pocket and gives her the broken scraps. Clover muses to himself as he presses a button on his scroll. Moments later, the table in the center of the room rises. Harriet places the scraps on top of the table and steps back. Elm, Vine, and Marrow step forward to analyze the scrap, their eyes narrow and direct.

Marrow: It looks the same to me.

Elm: Yeah... look, the shape of this piece!

Ruby and her team turn to each other, glancing with confused looks.

Yang: Shape of the piece? 

Clover: Ah, of course.

Clover then reaches to his pocket to reveal more scraps of broken metal, causing Ruby to gasp.

Ruby: What!?

He walks forward to place that scrap on the table before turning to face Ruby and her team.

Clover: One of our men found these scraps slightly hidden in the wall inside the mines. You said that this gadget was luring Grimm towards you?

The team nods.

Blake: Before we found it, we came across a few Grimm, but the moment it started beeping...

Yang: They all just appeared at once and came straight for us.

Weiss: They stopped appearing and became less aggressive after I broke it, too.

Clover hums and nods.

Clover: I see. 

He glances at the scraps at the table.

Clover: Then, I believe it may be safe to assume that this gadget was the reason behind yesterday's incident. That would explain the mass amount of Grimm.

Ruby: But why would it be there? H-How CAN it be in the mines? We cleared it all out!

Clover shakes his head.

Clover: That, I do not know. What matters is that it was present during the incident as a Grimm magnet.

Blake turns to Yang.

Blake: That proves Jake's theory, doesn't it?

The blonde nods.

Yang: Yeah. About Salem not being involved yesterday.