A Nervous Gecko Part 6

"Rene....Maniak..."

I found myself just zoned out staring at the number "3" on the wall. What is even happening right now? Is this even real?

Suddenly, Toby's face appeared right in front of mine. I could see his mouth moving, but no words were coming out. I wanted to tell him he wasn't saying anything, but I couldn't say anything either. His hands were on my shoulders now and he's shaking me. What are you doing, Toby!? Please stop, I don't know what...

(Toby: "JOHAN! YOU HAVE TO GO! NOW!!")

It was almost like something popped and I could hear Toby screaming at me. I looked around and could see the blue strobes from the fire suppression system in addition to hearing it's loud buzzing alarm.

Toby gave me another good shake and I turned my head back to meet his gaze. I nodded at him and turned on my heal toward the lab. Toby patted me on the back and started in the other direction. Next I turned to look, I could see he was making his way past the bulkhead and through the smoke pouring out from further beyond.

"Please....please be okay."

I listed to the wall, opposite of the elevators, and slid down to the ground since I really don't know if I'd even be useful to Claire and Sam at the lab anyway. I looked back down in the direction of the storage area. I keep hoping to see someone emerge from the smoke, but it's nothing but strobes and flashing red lights...

I leaned my head against the wall and stared up at the ceiling. Is there anything I can do right now? I feel so....hopeless... No! I am useful and I am not hopeless!

Now with renewed vigor, I stood back up tall and smacked my face with both hands. I looked down toward the lab and then back down to the storage end. I have to trust in them, I need to go help Claire and Sam. Now resolved, I started back toward the lab.

(Unknown: "Graar!!!!!!")

A deafening roar boomed from the storage end of Sector 3. My instincts kicked in and I quickly ducked inside of a nearby closet. What the hell was that!? I'm not aware of any other animals outside of the specimen room and I know none of them have such a guttural roar!

(Unknown: "Graaar!!!!")

Oh shit! It's definitely getting closer. What the hell is going on out there!? I looked up at the porthole and stood up to try and get a look outside. I carefully glanced out as to hopefully not be seen. I couldn't see much of anything with my limited viewing angle.

(Unknown "Grar...")

That... was very close.... But why is it much quieter now? I tried to get a better peak out the porthole by shifting a bit and next thing I knew, all I could see was a massive brownish orange face with black markings staring at me with it's big reddish-yellow eyes.

"Wha wa wha!?!?"

I feel backwards from the door and landed on my behind. I quickly looked back up at the porthole and whatever I saw was gone. What the hell was that? Was that like a tiger or something? Where did it go!?

(Unknown: "Graar!!!')

It's definitely moved down toward the lab. I don't think it will be able to get in there. Wait, is...is that screaming? That sounds like Claire!