Chapter 16: A Yu-tastrophe II

Gusu

 Huaisang found Jiang Cheng in a lecture hall. Wei Ying was out of sight and Yanli was in the middle of another lecture elsewhere.

Huaisang: "I have to pick up some films at the art department. I could use your help." 

"Not interested, find someone else." Jiang Cheng was more invested in a book.

"Come on. It won't take long. You're my best friend and I can't trust anyone else to defend me," Huaisang said.

"What do you mean?" Jiang Cheng raised his eyebrows.

"There's this dude who keeps hounding me, and I'm scared he might try to do something if I go alone," Huaisang said.

 Jiang Cheng could never let his friend get bullied, Huaisang knew that too well.

"Why didn't you say anything about this?"

"It's embarrassing. I'm a wimp who can't even defend himself from getting harassed. At this time of day, there are hardly any students in the media room, and I don't want to take that chance."

"Tsk! Let's go." Jiang Cheng stood up, shoving the rest of his books in his backpack. "You're not supposed to condone such actions, Huaisang. I dare this bully to make eye contact with you while I'm there."

"Let's use the route through the theatre. I'm pretty sure he will be standing in one of the hallways," Huaisang said when they reached the art block.

"Good." Jiang Cheng cracked his knuckles and went along with him, hoping for some violence.But as they went a little further, Huaisang suddenly stopped. "Jiang Cheng, I just recalled something important. That guy does not show up on Wednesdays. Shoot. I'm so sorry for dragging you into this."

"Stop apologizing. That bastard will eventually taste my fist when he shows up." Jiang Cheng promised. Huaisang laughed it off and told him to wait for him when they reached one of the doors leading to the theatre. "I won't take long," he said.

After a while of tapping his feet and leaning against the wall, Jiang Cheng decided that pacing back and forth would help with the fatigue. Already bored, he decided to peep at the theatre when he heard faint noises. He assumed it was some students rehearsing.

'Oh, it's just two people chatting.' Jiang Cheng was about to close the door when he caught a glimpse of a face he did not want to see. What was Lan Xichen doing in an empty room, holding another omega's hands? Jiang Cheng stood there unnoticed, listening to them.

Meng Yao: "I want you."

Xichen: "You own this moment, but another will have this lifetime. That is my fate and I cannot change it."

Meng Yao: "I do not mind if you hide me from your family."

Xichen: "That wouldn't be fair to you."

Meng Yao: As long as you look at me with this loving gaze, I know where your heart belongs."

Xichen: "With you?"

"Yes." Meng Yao smiles with tears in his eyes. "With me," he said.

Jiang Cheng was appaled. He stared in disbelief as his mate-to-be got closer to that omega. The very same one Xichen denied.