Chapter 17 : Is Your Love In Trouble?

Friday. The day the Jiangs had been looking up to. The very day Lan Xichen sought to patch things up with his betrothed. The Lans were peace-loving people, and Xichen, for one, only saw the good in others.

That morning, Wei Ying showed up at the apartment to force Lan Wangji out for breakfast.

"Why are you so terrible at being a boyfriend? You should be dying to see me." It had become a habit hearing Wei Ying bicker for attention. Lan Wangji was loving in his own way, but making time for what he felt mattered more became his biggest flaw.

There were times Xichen got roped into these playful arguments.

"Do you see this? Lan Zhan is totally annoying me on purpose." Wei Ying would whine like a child while the culprit sat quietly to finish his assignment.

Xichen: "Wangji, those books can wait."

"I will be done in fifteen minutes if he stops making noise." Wangji was brutally honest.

Then came Wei Ying's dramatic gasp and frown. Usually, he just stormed out of the house, but today he was determined to have his pound of flesh.

Wei Ying reached down and scattered the books on the table, causing inconvenient tears and knocking down writing tools.

Lan Xichen was taken aback by how that escalated. Wangji had worked on those books for weeks, and that was enough to put him in a sour mood.

To be fair, that was exactly Wei Ying's plan. He wanted a reason to stay angry.

Lan Wangji gave a hard gaze, his lips pressed. It didn't take a second for him to stand and walk around the desk.

Wei Ying had his fists clenched and ready. His powers were tested when Wangji grabbed his other hand, forcing those fingers to break free.

Lan Xichen was taught an important lesson by his baby brother that morning, watching on in mystery, speechless when Wangji sucked on Wei Ying's finger.

"Does it hurt?" said Lan Wangji. Wei Ying had struck his finger hard against the edge of the desk, and the tiny swell couldn't escape his eagle eyes.

"Yes. And this is all your fault!" Wei Ying was like a grumpy leprechaun. It peeved him that his golden alpha did not want to spend every breathing minute with him.

"How about I make breakfast? Do you like pancakes and rice pudding?"

Wei Ying was dumbfounded, but as natural as it was for an omega to be overly emotional, he registered that with another pout.

"If I feed you, will you behave?" Lan Wangji's firm yet persuasive voice spiked a beat in Wei Ying's wild heart.

"I like pancakes," Wei Ying answered somewhat bashfully, his anger half dead.

Lan Xichen's insides throbbed a little when Wangji caressed Wei Ying's hair and said, "Mn, come Grandmaster of destruction. I could use the motivation."

"Pfft! Didn't anyone tell you I was more chaotic in the kitchen? I can't boil an egg properly to save my life," Wei Ying's face was flushed with joy.

"I know," Lan Wangji pecked him on the nose and then calmly held his hand, tugging Wei Ying like a toddler.

Lan Xichen was shocked moments later as he walked past the dining area. The air was filled with wafts of Wangji's sugar-cooked meal. Wei Ying was on his brother's lap, stealing kisses after every morsel, showering Wangji with endless compliments.

This may have made Xichen smile, but he also couldn't help but feel a tinge of envy. For once, Lan Wangji had something he wished he had; a thriving relationship with his betrothed.