Chapter 7:

I arrived at the restaurant at exactly 7:30. I got out of my car and double checked my lipstick in the mirror. I chose to wear and long sleeved yellow v-neck blouse with flecks of gold in it. I paired it with a gray flare skirt and white heel sandals. My gold clutch paired well with my dainty gold teardrop earrings and matching necklace. My hair was slicked into a neat high ponytail. My edges were layed and sprayed.

I stepped into Fleurge and noticed the warm cozy vibes haven't left the place. We haven't been here since last year. When my dad wants to drop news he softens it by taking the family here. That's how I know that the news he's presenting tonight isn't all that good.

I shake off my nerves as i head toward the private room my siblings are seated in.

" Good Evening Mae" My dad chirps with a small smile dancing across his face. The smile doesn't reach his eyes and I notice how all of my siblings and even my mother are looking at me with sympathy and concern. Ok yeah whatever this is.... It ain't good!!

I give my dad a hug as I sit down at the table. The waiter comes and orders. I order the the stuffed garlic parmesean chicken breast with sweet potato bites. broccoli, and lemon water to drink. I look over at my brother who is already looking at me.

" Okay so what's this dinner about Dad" I questioned. " What's the big announcement"? I asked.

" Let's everyone enjoy their meal and then we will discuss it" He replies.

The food comes and we all enjoy small talk and catching up for the next 20 minutes.

"Ehhemmm My dad clears his throat clinking his glass. I was so engrossed in convo with my sister that I almost didn't hear him. I said Almost...

" Before we order dessert I have several announcements to make" He stated.

We all turned to him in anticipation ( dread from my end)

" As you all know me your mom's business has done exceptionally well, so well that we are expanding operations to overseas" He said with excitement.

" However what you don't know is that this has been a dream of ours since we started the companies. Because of this our former office made the decision to have someone oversee expansion. You guys are familiar with Brandon Vanheusen?" He asked looking directly at me.

I couldn't breathe. It was like someone threw a pitcher of ice water on me. I could hear my siblings calling out to me but I couldn't answer. I kept my eyes focused on my glass of water. I reached out for it with a shaky hand to cool the angry words bubbling in my throat.

" What do you mean" My voice cracked

" Sweetheart.... Brandon had some stipulations upon this contingent offer. It was written in contract last year that when the company expanded Brandon would be brought on as Operations Manager of the new office. Upon accepting this offer Relocation assistance would be granted for Brandon and his family. Also the clause was written to include the Slate family as well, now that Brandon is engaged and soon to wed Alyssa Slate."

Gasps were heard around the table and I could only focus on the fact that they would be involved with the company again. Which means I would definitely be seeing them around.

" Now that isn't the challenging part there's more to this story" He informed us.

" The clause states that until Brandon has completed the original infrastructure of the office, we will be financially assisting his family" My dad finished.

A chorus of outrage and disgust responses broke out all around the table. Even my mom rolled her eyes and sighed in disappointment. " Honey you failed to mention that bit of information to me" She replied