Chapter 9

I arrived at Sammies a little early, hoping to see Sammy herself.

I make a beeline for the counter and as usual Sammy is there bent over picking up a box of muffins. Her brow has a thin line of sweat her hair is in a messy bun that's flopped over.

"Hey girl what's up" I smile

" just want this water balloon out of me so I can move around" she grunts

"Just a few more weeks til we meet your little meatball" I gush

Sammy huffs and turns her nose up and walks away with a smirk. Okay pregnancy hormones go off then.
I sit at the barstool on the counter and look at the delicious slice of peach pie. I'm obsessed with peaches. It's calling me. Just one bite and then I'm off the stuff for good! Til next week!

Sammy comes back doesn't say anything but grabs a plate and cuts me a slice of pie. She hands it to me and I dig in.

"So what's been going on with you and beefcake" she grins

I choke on my warm gooey bite of pie. I grab my water to wash it down. "Nothings going on" I croak. We just are tolerating each other better.

"Uhuh and my baby is just coincidentally sitting on my bladder" she retorts

I don't have a reply as the door opens and the bell on top chimes. I see Haston standing there looking fine in his dark wash jeans Air Forces. Blue jacket and baseball cap. I'm still in a daze when Sammy nudges me mouthing "Tolerate my a**)

Haston walks up to me doesn't say anything he pulls me up into a hug. My nose brushes his jacket and he smells so good like chocolate and cinnamon again... this man... his eyes scan mine with worry and adoration?

"Angel I was so worried when I didn't hear from you are you okay" he asks

"I'm fine it's been a busy day "I reply

He sits down beside me and orders a chocolate milkshake. While Sammy whips it up he starts talking.

"Angel the reason I wanted you to meet me is because I want to ask you something.... Would you like to go out with me... I know it's sudden but I can explain" he rushes out.

"O-ookaay go ahead" I reply
" So my family is having this cookout thing and I kinda told them I have a girlfriend so that Vicky can't claim me.... Well I panicked and I told them your name and they said I had to personally invite you" he sighed looking away from me.

" You just had to give them my name" I laughed

"Wait you're not mad" he asks

"No I'm flattered and it'll be fun to mess with Icky I mean Vicky" I blink my eyelids to appear innocent.

He bursts out laughing and it's the most beautiful sound I've heard in awhile. His shoulders are bouncing his head is thrown back his hand slaps the counter. It's refreshing

" I call her that too when nobody's around" he grins
"Thank you for helping me out" he slings his arm around my shoulder.

We order sandwiches and enjoy the meal together
"Okay so I gotta ask Haston" I start. "Why did you give me that kiss" I quizzed "was it just to get back at Vicky" I find myself poking out my bottom lip and lowering my head. I don't wanna see or hear his response

"Actually you might not believe me but she had to know "He says softly

I look up and his cheeks are pink and he's turned his head. Wait is he actually blushing! That means that he really doesn't dislike  me!! This is a lot to take in. I think I might fain. Haston Addick doesn't hate me! My girls were right! He is being genuine he wants me to have his kiss. But I can't accept it....it'll just cause more trouble and people to get hurt.... I can't have anybody getting hurt again...