Chapter 1: I've Dug Two Graves

"When you begin a journey of revenge, start by digging two graves: one for your enemy, and one for yourself." - Jodi Picoult

Helaena had always been a sweet girl. She was kind, compassionate, and considerate. She cared for others when they could not even bother to care for themselves.

But not anymore.

Not after this.

This injustice that was done to her. And to her children.

'A debt was owed,' they had said.

A debt!? Her children were innocent. Jaehaera and Maelor were innocent.

Jaehaerys was innocent.

They had nothing to do with the death of Lucerys Velaryon.

The debt was not theirs to pay.

Helaena clutched her dead son's body, blood smearing on her hands and soaking into her dress. His head was a couple feet away, rolled to face Helaena. His eyes were blank, staring straight at her. Staring through her.

Into her soul. Her very being.

The look in his eyes before he died; he knew. Jaehaerys knew what she was going to become after his death.

And he was afraid. Afraid of the monster that his murderers would create. Of what his mother would become.

She knew, too. What she herself would become.

A creature of revenge.

Revenge for the innocent little boy whose life was taken too soon. Revenge for the little girl and boy who had to witness their brother's head be separated from his shoulders. Who witnessed the blood pool at their mother's knees as she cried and wailed for her dead son.

She swore that day that she would take everything the Blacks loved. Everything they cared for. Everything they owned that held value.

She would take it all away.

She would make them suffer just as they had made her suffer. Made her children suffer. Her brothers suffer. Her mother suffer.

She would rip apart the brood of bastards they called a family. Rip it apart until there was nothing left.

She swore that revenge would be hers. And that only death could stop her.