Chapter 4: We Will Show Them

"Art is the blood that comes from a wound. You can't let it scab; let it keep bleeding. Let it bleed until you have enough blood to paint with." - Tarryn Fisher

Sixteen Days After Jaehaerys' Death

Blood coated her hands and covered her dress. There were splatters on her face and it soaked into her hair.

Aegon was not focused on that though. He was surprised to find that Helaena looked happier. Lighter.

She was practically glowing.

His eyes trained to her left hand which held a dagger, then to her right hand. Clutched in her hand was a head. Blood's head.

"Helaena. What have you done?" Aegon asked calmly.

"I took his head," Helaena chirped. "Just as he took our son's." Helaena then added, "I'm going to put it on a spike outside the gates."

"You cannot. We will be seen as cruel," Aegon explained.

"Then tell the people he killed our son. They will understand," Helaena pleaded. "I will not hide the death of this scoundrel," she snarled. "I will parade his head through King's Landing if I must."

"Helaena," Aegon said sadly, his voice cracking.

Helaena's eyes began to tear up. "I will show them all what happens to those who harm a dragon!" She shouted. "I will!" She sobbed.

Blood's head dropped to the ground, the dagger clattering after it. Helaena fell to her knees as sobs wracked her body.

Aegon slowly made his way toward Helaena, getting down on his knees in front of her. He wrapped his arms around her, his eyes watering, but never shedding a tear.

Helaena brought her hands up to clutch at his doublet. She leaned her forehead against his chest as she wailed.

"We will show them. I promise you that, Hel," Aegon swore. "I promise."