Chapter 10: What It Means To Be Free

"Freedom is the oxygen of the soul." - Moshe Dayan

Thirty-Nine Days After Jaehaerys' Death

It had only been a few hours since Helaena had left. She had likely arrived in Stone Hedge by now. Aegon did not know what to do with himself.

He had spent most of his time sitting at Helaena's side as she embroidered her bugs into cloth, but now that she was not present, he had no clue of what he should be doing.

He had visited his children briefly after their mother left. Maelor was distraught at not having his mother at his side and Jaehaera was curious as to where her mother had gone.

After visiting the children, he was lost. Lost on what to do, where to go, who to interact with. He thought about visiting his mother, but she likely blamed him for Helaena leaving.

His grandfather was likewise out of the question, wanting to scheme his way into controlling Aegon and by extension the crown.

Aegon had not realized how much of his time he spent with Helaena until she was gone. He realized how little time he spent with his children, his mother, his grandfather. Even his brothers, Aemond and Daeron.

An idea popped into his head. Aemond. They could go flying on Vhagar and Sunfyre. Like they used to.

After settling on the decision, Aegon began to search for Aemond. He would likely be in the training yard. Always sharpening his skills.

And sure enough, there he was. In all his glory, training with Ser Criston.

"Aemond," Aegon called.

Aemond and Ser Criston stopped their sparring and looked to Aegon. "Your Grace," Ser Criston greeted.

"Brother," Aemond greeted in turn.

"I have come to ask if you would fly with me today?" Aegon questioned.

Aemond sheathed his sword and stalked toward Aegon. "Of course, Brother," he accepted, placing his hand on his shoulder. "Come, to the Dragon Pit. Thank you for the spar, Ser Criston," Aemond called back.

"My pleasure, Prince Aemond," Ser Criston said.

Aemond and Aegon fetched a pair of horses from the stables and rode them down to the Dragon Pit.

The Dragonkeepers brought Sunfyre out, Aegon climbing onto his back and Aemond clambering up after him.

Sunfyre took to the skies without needing to be commanded and flew in rhe direction of Vhagar's lair.

It took only a few minutes to arrive at the large Dragon's lair, Sunfyre Landing at the entrance. Aemond dismounted from Sunfyre and walked toward the mouth of the cave.

Vhagar stomped out, her footsteps shaking the ground. She grumbled happily as she spotted her rider.

Aemond climbed up Vhagar's wing and secured himself in the saddle before taking to the sky. "Soves!" He shouted.

Vhagar spread her massive wings and with one flap oh her wings, lifted herself into the air, Sunfyre taking off after her.

As they soared above the clouds Aegon thought to himself, 'This is what it means to be free.'