KABANATA 14 - COMFORTABLE

The man was about to drop off the girl at her house because he was sure she was tired from their outing. Just as he was about to open the car door, his phone suddenly rang.

"Where are you, son?" his mother's voice immediately greeted him.

"I'm home, she's with me," he deliberately lowered his voice so that the girl, who was now leaning on the car, wouldn't hear.

"Good. Your father and I are already at the airport, can you pick us up? Please tell Aea, that you'll pick us up," his mother giggled on the other line.

"Mom... she's tired, we went out earlier," he complained to his mother.

"Son, just indulge your mother. No matter how much I insist on commuting, she refuses," his father chuckled on the other line.

"Sure, dad. I'll tell her if I can pick you up first before I take her to their place," he replied to his father and said goodbye.

I took a deep breath and caught her attention.

"Uhmm…binibini... I'm sorry, my mom and dad called. They're at the airport right now. They want me to pick them up if it's okay with you," I nervously said.

"Your mom and dad?" she asked in surprise, which puzzled me.

"Does she remember my mom and dad?" I whispered softly, knowing that only I could hear.

"Yes..." I replied, nodding my head, furrowing my brow.

"What do you mean, binibini?" I asked because I couldn't understand what she was trying to say.

"Isn't it embarrassing that you brought another girl here?" I shook my head when she said that.

"You're not just any girl to me, binibini. You're very special in my life," I told her in a low and affectionate tone.

"Can I come with you then?" she quickly asked, and I nodded eagerly.

"Why not? I'm sure they'll be happy to see you," I replied with a smile on my lips. I laughed as she opened the car door and got in.

"Can we leave now, sir? I'm sorry, I'm just so excited to see your mom and dad. I'm sure they'll be happy to be parents, right?" there was a hint of sadness in her voice.

To erase the sadness on her face, I got into the car. I smiled when I saw that she hadn't put her seatbelt on yet, so I moved closer to help her put it on.

She was surprised by my action. I wanted to laugh at her attempt to hold her breath.

“ Breathe, binibini, I won't do anything to you, ” I said with a smile.

“ You startled me, sir, that's not a good habit,” she responded, adjusting her position. I then returned to my seat and put on my seatbelt.

****                

As soon as they arrived at the airport, the man immediately looked for his parents..

"Ginoo,, I think those are the ones waving." The man stopped in his walking when he heard the girl voice, following her gaze.

"Yes, binibini, those are my parents. Let's go meet them," he invited her, taking her hand. He thought she would be surprised or pull her hand away, but she let him.

"Good day, Auntie, Uncle. It's nice to see you," I greeted Mr. Ivan's parents shyly.

"Nice to see you too, ija. You're such a beautiful girl, nothing has changed," Mr. Ivan's mother warmly said, giving me a kiss on the cheek. You can see the joy and happiness in her eyes. My attention was caught by a man who looked exactly like Mr. Ivan. Just by his face, I immediately knew that he was his father.

“ Let's go, I want to bonding with you, Ija,” she said with a smile to her lips.

“ Mom, she's tired kaya ihahatid ko na siya.” He complained bang ikinasama ng mukha ko.

“ Tila ayaw mo na makasama ko ang iyong magulang ginoo?!” bulong ko tama lang sa pandinig niya.

"Are you really going home, Ija? I wanted to get to know you. Do you know that you are the first girl that our son brought home? I hope you grant my wish." I could feel the sadness in Ginoong Ayap's mother's voice.

"You can sleep at our house, I'm sure there's no school because it's Holy Week, it's time to relax," she added. I just smiled and nodded, to Ivan's surprise. He looked at me, his eyes asking if it was okay with me, but I ignored him and talked to his mother.

***

Upon arriving at Mr. Ivan's house, we rested for a short while. I was surprised when his mother held my hand. She led me to the kitchen and got some popcorn and drinks.

"What's that for mom?" Ivan suddenly asked as he entered the kitchen.

"Movie marathon with Aea," Tita Jasmine said with a smile on her lips, leaving both of us with Ivan gaping in the kitchen.

"You know what, if Angel was here, she would be happy because she would have a new friend. But sadly, my brother won't allow her to travel because it's dangerous," she said as we entered a room with a big screen and a wide sofa. I think this is their home theater in this house.

It's already 3:30 in the afternoon, but here we are, crying and laughing because of the movie we're watching. Sometimes, Uncle and Ivan would peek in to check on us, but every time they do, they shake their heads as they always catch us crying and laughing. I don't know why, but I feel so light with Aunt Jasmine, she's such a joy to have as a mother. She's very caring, kind, and sweet when it comes to me.

"Ija, we're going to the province tomorrow, but it's a secret because your Uncle Vince and Ivan don't know yet. But I hope you can come with us. I want you to experience the Holy Week in Marinduque, there are many places to visit there and I want you to be with me in the procession. The last time we went, Ivan wasn't with us because he was busy with his businesses and his teaching." I glanced at my hand, which Aunt Jasmine was now holding.

"Please grant my wish, ija. After this, we will go back to the States because we have a lot of businesses there. I will be upset if you don't come with us." she said sadly. Without a second thought, I nodded and agreed. I also want to experience all the happy moments in this world before I leave it. I know that every time I'm happy, it's also a gradual reduction of my time in this world. I want to travel with them. I want to experience the Holy Week in Marinduque, just from Aunt Jasmine's stories, I know it will be worth it to join them.

"Omg! Really, ija, you're coming with us? Thank you, Ija, I promise it's fun there." Aunt Jasmine said and hugged me. A hug that I never experienced from my mother since childhood. A hug that I always wanted, but was denied by my family. I'm holding back the tears that want to fall, I don't want to worry my companion.