KABANATA 15 - SURPRISED DINNER DATE

Nagki-kislapang mga ilaw sa matataas na gusali ang makikita sa lungsod ng maynila. Busina ng mga sasakyan ang maririnig kabila't kanan. Sa sobrang paghanga napagpasyahan kong buksan ang bintana ng kotse para ma's lalo ko itong masilayan.

Napatakip ako ng panyo sa ilong ko nang makalanghap ng usok na nagmumula sa mga sasakyan na dumadaan kaya isinara ko ang bintana ng kotse.

I don't know why, but I'm really fascinated by you, dear. Everything you wear suits you, like what you're wearing now, you look like a Barbie doll in my eyes, you're such a beautiful girl, your smile captivates me.” I turned to Mr. Ivan's mother when she spoke. I don't know why, but at this moment, I want to hug her. I really want to hear her words. This is the first time I've heard this at sa mismong mommy niya par.

"Thank you very much, Tita, also for the dress you gave me." I thanked her, she just smiled and squeezed my hand.

"That's why our son's heart is going wild, honey," I heard Ivan's father's voice.

"That's true, honey, she really knows how to choose," Aunt Jasmine responded to her husband in the front seat next to Mr. Ivan who was driving.

"Mom..Dad..stop!" I heard Mr. Ivan's complaint while his dad and mom were laughing at their teasing of Mr. Ivan.

"By the way, ija, can I blindfold you? I have a surprise for you. You too, son, your dad will blindfold you before you get out of the car," she said. I couldn't do anything and I couldn't refuse. Actually, I really like what they're doing. I feel very important to the Ayap family.

****
Sa sandaling kami ay lumabas ng kotse, agad akong inalalayan ni Tita Jasmine. Naramdaman ko ang isa niyang kamay sa aking baywang at ang isa naman ay sumusuporta sa aking kamay."

"Two more steps, Ija," she said and I promptly took steps until we both stopped.

"We're here now, are you ready, Ija? I hope you'll like our surprise for you," she responded and then fixed my hair. I took a deep breath and prepared myself.

"No matter what the surprise is, Auntie, I will like it because it comes from you," I replied with a smile on my lips.

I heard Tita Jasmine and Tito Vince count together and then tita Jasmine removed the blindfold from my eyes. I momentarily closed my eyes again because my vision was blurry. Upon opening my eyes, a beautiful view greeted me. A table with a red cloth, two chairs also covered in red, and a bouquet of roses on top of the table. Everything, from the table, chairs, and others, was organized."

I was surprised when Tito Vince approached me and kissed the back of my hand, Ivan did the same. Our eyes briefly met and Tita Jasmine also approached and kissed my forehead and cheek.I was even more surprised when she hugged me tightly.

“I will fill her shortcomings,” she said meaningfully and stroked my face.

“Welcome to the Ayap Family, Ija. We're very happy to have you with us,” she added emotionally. At that moment, I couldn't stop the tears that were threatening to fall.

“Why do I feel so safe with them? I feel like we have a past, but how can that be when I just met them today?” I whispered and sniffled."

***

“ Son, you take care of Aea, have fun. This date is for the two of you. We'll just be at the next table,” Aunt Jasmine instructed Ivan.

“ Aea, my child, enjoy this night and feel the beauty of the surroundings.” I couldn't help but hug Ivan's mother. With what she's doing, the sadness I'm feeling momentarily disappeared.

“ Don't cry, dear. We know that our son loves you and that's why you're also our child now, along with Uncle Vince. But you know what, I think I'd prefer if you call us Daddy and Mommy, right honey?” She asks her husband who is smiling and looking our way. She wiped my cheek and for the second time, she kissed my forehead which made me cry even more.

After that scene, Ginoong. Ivan led me to our spot, he pulled out a chair for me and then gave me the flowers. A little later, the waiter arrived and he himself ordered our food. I looked back at Uncle and Aunt at the next table, their smiles were ear to ear.

***

It's 8:20 na ng gabi. Ngayon ko lang napagtanto na nandito pala kami sa Isang Pilipino Seafood restaurant na matatagpuan sa dulo ng Manila Bay kung saan maari kang magtamasa ng kahanga-hangang tanawin ng Sikat na Manila Bay Sunset at ang Manila Skyline habang kumakain. Ngunit dahil kami pumunta hindi namin naabutan ang paglubog ng araw.

Kinuha ko ang cellphone ko na nasa bag ko para kuhanan ng litrato si Ivan at ang napakagandnag tanawin.

“ Ginoo, gusto ko masilayan ang ngiti mo. Kahit ngayon lang alam ko kasi kapag may pasok na ulit masungit na ginoong Ivan ang makikita ko.” tugon ko at ngumiti. Umayos ito ng upo at tumingin sa akin.

“ Maangas ako sa paaralan. Masungit at seryoso, pero pagdating sa iyo aking binibini kaya kong baguhin ang mga 'yon upang masilayan mo ang ngiti ng ginoo na nagmamahal sayo.” Nagulat ako ng hawakan nito ang kamay ko at hinalikan ito pagkatapos inilapat nito sa pisngi niya.

“ Katulad ng sinabi ng aking Ina napakaganda mo aking binibini. Ganda mo na walang makakapantay.” Malambing na tugon ito at hinahalik-halikan ang palad ko na hawak niya.

***

They are right when they say that in the world we live in, we can't tell who is being genuine or who truly loves us. Just because you share the same blood doesn't mean they love you and care for you.

The truth may be that they don't want you. But despite this, there are still people who are not your relatives, but they treat you as if you were their own child, even if you just met them."

People who don't know what's happening to you but are ready to be your support. People who will make you feel that you are not alone.