chapter sixty-two

"You're literally the cutest little boy in the world, do you know that" Acacia said as she tickled KJ's belly making him laugh. Everyone was currently at Maya and Kane's home celebrating their son KJ's 2nd Birthday. 

About a month before Maya gave birth to KJ, they had a Nikkah then about 8 months later Kane proposed to Maya and in April they had their traditional wedding, Maya was Nigerian so it was compulsory that she had a traditional Yoruba wedding, they didn't really bother to have a white wedding since they were Muslim.

They were having a small birthday celebration for him since they were traveling very soon, Maya's parents and Kane's mum were here along some other relatives and friends. Acacia was carrying the toddler entertaining him whilst Aaliyah, Bricks, Brianna and Kevin sat on the couch quietly, it was very awkward. Maya came over to Acacia, "Why are they all being so quiet?" she asked as she played with her sons feet but he paid her no mind. "I don't know, which is why I ain't sitting over there" Acacia said as she ran her hands through Kal'el Jr hair. "Hmm, well the party is almost over, I need to hand out goodie bags. Let me take him to the bathroom quickly because when he starts to get all quiet and unbothered I know he's holding out" Maya said as she put her hands out for Acacia to pass her son over. "See you in a minute baby boy" Acacia said pouting as she handed him over.

She walked over to the table to help Kane organise some of the goody bags.

"I was just talking to your man, he called to wish little man a happy birthday" he said, Acacia smiled "That's nice, he did say he was going to call" she said as she started to help put things in place. "How are you? You doing okay?" Kane asked as he checked each bag to see if he had the correct items, "I'm okay" Acacia said as she continued. Kane stopped what he was doing to look at Acacia, "Come on, somethings obviously on your mind. I know I ain't Maya or Aaliyah but I still care you know so if you like, I'm all ears" Kane said, her smile faded as she pressed her lips together. "I'm happy for you guys, honestly I really am and Aaliyah too, even Bricks but I just.. I thought this would've been my life at some point. I didn't get the wedding I wanted, I'm not experiencing the marriage that I thought I would have and I don't think I'll ever get the kids I wanted" she said, "I'm living in the home we were meant to start our lives together in all alone with just a dog" she sighed. "I hear you, I don't know what I could ever tell you to make you feel better because the situation your in is tough but I think you should talk to AZ about this, your concerns are super valid and if the roles were reversed he would be thinking the same thing so I definitely think you should talk to him about it" he said as he tried to comfort her, "I don't want him to think I'm trying to leave him or anything.." she said, Acacia had her concerns but she wouldn't vocalise them because she knew it would bring up a conversation she's been dodging for the past 2 years. "I was supposed to see him today but he didn't book me in for a visit because I would've been late for KJ's" she said sitting down on the chair nearby. "Look, I've known AZ for a long time, since reception days. He's a different guy now, he's super understanding and he loves you more than anything, he would want to know that this is how you feel" he said, "Trust me, talk to him" he said looking at her, she sighed and nodded her head "I will" she said.

Once Kane and Acacia had finished sorting through the goody bags they handed it out to the guest that were leaving. Kevin decided to also take off early, since him and Aisha had ended he was pretty much tunnel vision on his work and businesses so the fellas didn't really see each other. In fact nobody really saw each other that much since Bricks moved to LA and Aaliyah was more long term in Atlanta, Maya and Kane were focused on their family and Kane was trying to finish his degree. They realised that Azrael was truly the glue that held everyone together.

"Kev you leaving already? The mandem ain't caught up in a minute?" Bricks said as he walked over to his friend who was putting on his jacket. "Yeah, I've got brunch with my mum and sister tomorrow" he said as he zipped up his Dior jacket. "I ain't seen you in a minute man, chill off with me and Kane.. just for a bit" Bricks said. Kevin thought about it and Bricks was right, he hadn't seen his friends in ages, except for Azrael who he visited this week. "Alright, just for a bit.. we definitely need to talk about this album" Kevin said as he put his arm around his oldest friend as they walked towards the games room but before they could enter Aaliyah came after them.