Worry, the sequel.

Asher didn't sleep in his own bed for a week. He stayed with me, which I liked, because I felt safe with Ash but I was worried about him. He used to tease and say he'd make me live in the garden so he could have his own room. That was a while ago now, back when Momma was alive. Maybe he's changed his mind, or he's seen Youssef and Nathan's admittedly small garden and felt bad for me.

"I'll be okay by myself." I spoke as Ash walked in, his phone in hand.

"Maybe not. Best I stay, just in case."

"If I need you, I'll come in and get you. I always used to sneak on your bunk, you know I'll come get you."

"It's different, different rooms, different house. It's best I stay here, in case you go all baby or whatever."

I just nodded and let him get into my bed. He moved Momma and shoved her into my arms. He stared at his phone for a while, not paying attention to me. I thought the whole point was to look after me?

I got out of bed eventually and went downstairs. Asher didn't question it, and I sat with Nathan in the living room.

"Hey hon, you okay?"

I nodded.

"Is Asher alright?"

"I don't know." I answered honestly. Youssef has started to notice Asher's behaviour too. Maybe Nate has.

"Oh? Why is that?"

"He won't leave me alone, he keeps sleeping in my bed and he can't seem to accept the fact that I can survive in my room for one night by myself."

"I think he's just worried about you. I'm sure he means no harm."

"I know he doesn't. Something's wrong with him. I don't know what and he won't tell me."

Youssef walked in, messed my hair up and sat down on the sofa.

"Does Asher seem weird to you?" I asked.

"Weird how?" Youssef questioned, his face curling to show his confusion.

"Overbearing. He won't leave me alone at school, home, anywhere. He got in a mood with me when I kicked him out of my room so I could hang out with Jace. Something's wrong."

"Yeah, I suppose. Has he always cared for you?"

"Like what?"

"Acted in a parental manner, rather than a sibling one."

"...maybe. Sometimes. Why?"

"He always 'knows' better. He knows how to look after you better, get you to sleep better, make your sandwiches better. He can't accept help, or an invitation to step back and let someone else help you, not even you. It's called parentification. He's been forced, by multiple situations, to act as a parent for you."

"Momma didn't have a choice, she tried so hard-"

"Honey, I know. She did her best, and it most definitely wasn't her fault."

"Is that why he's being weird?"

"Probably."

"How do I stop it?"

"Let him look after you, please, and I will handle this. I'm the grown up."

"Asher thinks he's the grown up." I remarked.

"And we are going to help. You need to be your lovely self, and let him take care of you. I'll slowly start getting involved again, and I'll tackle the reactions from Ash, hm?"

"He's going to hate you."

"That's okay, I hope he can understand what we're doing is to help, not harm." Youssef smiled gently.