Chapter 6: Avatar Roku

An Unforeseen Spiritual Awakening

Tasha's POV

It has been a couple of days since I have been captured by the Fire Nation.

Truth be told, I stopped counting the days the moment I stepped into this cursed war ship with Prince Zuko.

That man, was full of spite, hate, anguish. He was always upset and frustrated over the smallest thing, and that led me to believe that he had issues. With every hint of hearing of the word 'Avatar', he was always so quick to overreact and make rash decisions.

And this was one of them.

We were setting sail for Crescent Island, right in Fire Nation territory, to the Shrine of Avatar Roku. Apparently, Zuko heard that the Avatar ventured to this island in search of enlightenment from his past Avatar self, which was his Fire Nation counterpart, Roku.

"Tasha, get ready." I heard Zuko's instruction over the door.

Sighing, I took the daggers which Zuko gifted me days ago, and strapped them on to my belt.

Opening the door and giving Zuko a side eye, I nodded. "Let's go."

As usual, I followed silently behind Zuko as I watched him stride confidently off the ship and on to the island, where there stood a tall pagoda-like temple present in the island. As expected, the roofs of the temple were cladded in red-orange colour tiles, signalling the territory of the Fire Nation.

Zuko and I walked silently towards the entrance of the Temple. There seemed to be no one around the exterior of the temple, so we proceeded inside.

We were greeted by the fire sages, who walked out from the shadows upon noticing our arrival into the temple.

"What business do you have in this temple?" One of the fire sages - whom I assumed was the leader, spoke.

"I heard news that the Avatar was here."

Zuko spoke confidently.

"And you are?" Another fire sage spoke up.

"Prince Zuko. Son of Fire Lord Ozai. And this is my assistant, Tasha." Zuko gestured towards me. "We would like to visit the shrine of Avatar Roku."

The fire sages were observing us very carefully. I shifted my feet uncomfortably and fidgeted with my fingers in response. Things were getting really... strange.

A moment of silence passed, before one of the older fire sages emerged from the shadows. He walked towards me, passing Zuko without a bat of an eyelid.

"This girl." The old fire sage spoke slowly, pointing towrds me.

I raised an eyebrow in confusion. What-

"She can come with us." He hit his staff on the floor, and the other fire stages started moving quickly.

They came between Zuko and I, separating us from each other.

"Hey- what is the meaning of this?!" Zuko spoke angrily, getting pushed away from me. He turned over to glance at me, with confusion written all over his face.

The old fire sage looked at me and nodded his head to his other men. "Take her to the shrine."

As if on cue, the rest of the sages took my arms and directed me to another room in the temple, further separating me from Zuko. I couldn't really react much to what has been going on, I was more confused at this point. Why did they take me and not Zuko?