Chapter 10: Heart to Heart

Will you be my listening ear?

Zuko's POV

I ran back to the ship, trying hard to ignore the fact that I narrowly missed my chance to capture the Avatar. I knew that I wouldn't forgive myself for that missed opportunity.

But I still gave it up, for I was concerned.

There's still plenty of other opportunities to capture the Avatar, anyway.

"Tasha!" I shouted, my voice echoing through the empty halls of the ship. I ran through the corridors of the ship towards her room, where I knew she'll most probably be at.

I hurried all the way down to her room and slammed the door right open.

Right infront of my eyes, was Tasha in tears, her body all tensed up and shaking. She was burying her head in her knees, crying and letting out all of her pent up emotions. She looked horrible.

"Tasha?" I called in a soft whisper. I hesitated, moving forward. She looked too fragile, and I just didn't know what to do.

I walked up towards her. Gently, and not making much noise, I sat beside her.

Damn it. I was so bad at this.

Tasha's POV

Zuko sat beside me without saying anything. I continued to cry and shake as my uncontrollable emotions flowed all out.

I was so drained, so tired, so emotional. My entire being felt like it was sapped of all the energy I had left in me.

I felt an hand place over my shoulders and I shuddered in response, ceasing my sobbing. I didn't want Zuko to see me in this state; it was embarrassing.

"Hey," Zuko said, his voice gentler than usual.

"You probably hate me now," I quickly said, my voice wavering as I spoke.

It was true; he probably hated me after making him lose the chance to capture the Avatar.

"I don't hate you," Zuko muttered. "Hate is a strong word, do you know that?"

I glanced at him and bit my lips in remorse.

"I made you lose the chance to capture the Avatar."

"No."

He turned away and looked at the floor. "There will be many opportunities for that."

"But right now, I want to know why."

"Know what?" I asked, flicking my tears to the floor and burying my head in my hands.

"Why were you so upset over that water bender girl?"

"That girl, is not just any girl. She was my best friend!" I shouted, standing up. "I can't believe she's with the Avatar."

Zuko stood up and placed a hand on my shoulder as I breathed in and out in anger. I clenched my fists and relaxed them, closing my eyes after a few moments.

"I couldn't believe it too," Zuko finally replied after a few unspoken moments.

"I thought Katara was my best friend. But it turns out to be all wrong!" I sighed, grabbing the soft fabric of my robe in frustration.

"She hated me," I scoffed, frowning.
"I still couldn't believe what I did there. I shouldn't have used blood bending on a friend."

Zuko remained unmoving, expressing a questioning silence on my statement.