Chapter 17: Our Fates Intertwined

Accepting our differences

Zuko's POV

What in the spirits was I thinking?

I knew I had Mai, and truthfully speaking I thought I loved her. But that was all in the past, because ever since Tasha has risked her life just to save me countless times, my feelings seemed to have changed.

I started to fall in love with her.

Tasha is beautiful. Not to mention that she's brave, powerful, courageous. She could bend both fire and water. Isn't that special enough?

I started to realise my feelings for her only recently, but I tried running away from them. I honestly thought I loved Mai, but in actual fact the only girl that made me feel this way was her.

I'm just so confused! I mean, was Tasha rejecting me just now? Why did she say that we can't be together just because of our differences? Why did she even have this childish mindset that we can't be together because of this?

We can be together, our nations cannot separate how we feel about each other - if we had a will to stay together, we will find a way.

I needed to know what she thought about me. And I had to tell her I love her.

I turned around and immediately ran back to the house, preparing myself to explain everything to the girl I loved deeply.

Tasha's POV

What... was I thinking?

That reason, was so stupid.

Did I really reject Zuko because of some idiotic reason that we are from different nations?

Am I really denying these feelings that I have in my heart, for this man?

"Tasha." A voice called out from behind. I turned around to face Zuko, who stood there in front of me.

A small blush crept to my cheeks, as I realised how embarrassing it was to see him again.

I avoided his gaze and looked sharply to the floor. I can't let him see that he has a chance with me, I thought. We really can't be in love each other at all. I don't have a good feeling about this.

"I realised something." Zuko started.

"I love you, Tasha. And I want to be together with you, now and in the future."

Zuko walked up to me as I stood there, frozen in my tracks.

The future? What future is there with the both of us? In such a time of crisis and war, how could he even think of having a life with me? How can he think of loving me?

I can't think straight.

"No, we can't be together." I managed to choke out.

I stole look at Zuko's face which was masked with an element of shock.

"Why?" Zuko's voice was strained with hurt and confusion.

"I don't know." I shook my head sadly and turned away.

"Tell me." Zuko spoke with a tone of frustration in his voice, his face now filled with pain. He clenched his fists in frustration, looking down. It hurt me to see that I caused his pain and frustration.

Why do I keep getting so flustered?

Why is it that I still care about him and can't flat out reject him?

Why am I afraid to love him?

"I love you too."

I blurted out.

I looked away and shut my eyes in utter disbelief. I can't believe I confessed that, now I don't think I even have the courage to speak up again.

A hand gently caressed my cheeks, and my eyes snapped open. I stared at the face of Zuko, who was now looking at me with a gaze of longing and love.

"I don't think we can ever be together." I repeated, turning my face away from his gaze.

"You just said you loved me!" Zuko sounded really irritated. "Stop confusing me! What do you mean we can't be together?"

"Z-Zuko." My lips were trembling as I spoke up, trying to find an excuse.

But before I could say anything else, Zuko approached me and placed his lips on mine, as he caressed my cheek gently with his hands. I shut my eyes the moment I realised what was happening, and felt my body slowly easing up the tension that was surrounding it.

Zuko and I were... kissing.

And it felt nice somehow, to have someone's comforting hold on you like this. It felt good, to know that there was someone out there who could love you this much.

This was someone whom had hurt me so terribly on the first day he captured me. Someone who forced me into being a slave for another nation, who snatched me away from the comforts of my homeland. Someone who wounded me and left me to die.

But this was also someone who I had great adventures with. Someone who gave me a chance to see the world, and someone who comforted me in my darkest times. Someone who cared for my own wellbeing, my training, my powers. Someone who made sure I was alive.

He was special, and this-

This made me want to love Zuko back, even more.

Zuko gently pulled away from the kiss and placed his forehead on mine, very gently.

"It doesn't matter which nation we both come from, Tasha."

Zuko said very softly, as if in a whisper. He slowly wrapped his arms around my waist and brought me into a warm embrace.

"I love you, Tasha."

Maybe he was right.

Maybe I should just give him a chance.

No, I should give us a chance.

A moment of silence passed as I laid my head on his shoulder, allowing our cheeks to touch. My face was just right beside the scar on his left eye, and I finally realised how much I wanted to love this man. I closed my eyes to toke in his warm embrace and comfort.

"I love you too, Zuko."

I finally spoke up, whispering softly to his ears.