Chapter 35: Forgiveness

Our Hearts change, our Destinies realign

Tasha's POV

Parting from our embrace, Zuko and I stared into each other's eyes for a brief moment, before we were interrupted by the rest of my team.

Sokka faked cough to get us back into reality. We turned around to see the gang, standing around with suspicions filling their eyes.

Zuko reacted by walking forward towards the four of them: Aang, Sokka, Katara and Toph.

"I never imagined to be saying this," Aang was the first to speak. "But thanks, Zuko."

"Hey!" Sokka interjected. "What about me? I did the boomerang thing!"

Ignoring Sokka, Zuko quickly spoke up.

"Listen, I know I didn't explain myself very well yesterday. I've been through a lot in the last few years, and it's been hard."

Zuko took a deep breath and looked backwards towards me in a longing gaze.

"But I'm realizing that I had to go through all those things to learn the truth. I thought I had lost my honor, and that somehow my father could return it to me. But in return, I lost things that meant the world to me. What I got in return was nothing compared to the things I sacrificed."

He gave me a longing glance as he spoke.
I softened my gaze at him.

Zuko really did change, I said in my heart.
... And this was someone I would have misunderstood, if I didn't give him another chance.

"All I want to do now is play my part in ending this war, and I know my destiny is to help you restore balance to the world." Zuko continued.

How could anyone reject such an honest statement from him?

It came from his heart. I knew, because being with Zuko for so long, the old him was never one to be vulnerable about his intentions.
But this version of Zuko in front of us right now, is different.

Aang looked on in disbelief at the words that came out of Zuko's mouth.

"Hey Aang," I walked forward towards Aang and in between the two of them. "I think you should give him a chance."

Aang looked up at me, still deep in thought.

"Like how you gave me a chance."

I placed a hand on Aang's shoulder. "Trust me, I've known Zuko long enough to know that he doesn't have any ill intentions."

"How could you just forgive him like that? After all that he's done to you?" Katara interjected sharply and folded her arms in denial.

Katara was adamant, on doubting Zuko. I couldn't fault her on that. It was difficult to get on her good side, because she was almost untrusting of anyone who has hurt her in the past.

"Katara-" I started.

"I admit, he did do many bad things to me in the past, he even burned my hands as a punishment when he first captured me."

"What?!" The gang yelled together in unison.

"But Zuko is just human, like all of us. He's been through a lot in the past, and the hurt his own father gave him, pushed him to act in this way. He let his own anger dictate his actions."

"He learnt his lesson now. I believe this version of Zuko truly wishes to put an end to this war with the rest of us."

I turned back to look at Zuko. He seemed almost surprised, at the words I was saying.