To Catch a Changeling 1

The gleaming sword of daylight stood upright, its polished surface reflecting the wooden fence behind which Jim's broad shoulders were positioned. With a smile, he deftly flicked the sword, its metal seeming to thin out as it revealed each side of his face.

"All right. Do your worst."

As Toby prepared to hurl the watermelon, Jim assumed a fighting stance. The melon spun through the air, meeting Jim's blade with precision. With a swift stroke, Jim sliced through the round fruit, causing a blue glow to radiate from between the slices. The pieces splintered and vanished without a trace as they burst apart. Jim couldn't suppress his smile as he raised his sword in triumph, joining Toby in celebration.

"Ha!"

"Whoo-hoo!"

"It slices!"

"It dices!"

"That was amazing!"

Jim picked up a bag of tacos with the tip of his sword and let the bag slide down the smooth blade and catching it with his other hand. He set his sword into the dirt patch as he pulled out a taco, enjoying the flavor.

"All right, what else you got?"

"Mmm. You know, we probably should recycle these. On the other hand, shredding them is more fun! It's less environmentally conscious, but more fun!"

"Pull!"

Toby twirls and releases the stack of plastic-like paper, then drops backward with a thud, observing as the target hurtles through the air toward Jim. With a smooth slice, Jim effortlessly cuts through the target, enveloping it in a blue glow once more and reducing it to fragments. Numerous tiny remnants of the magazines scatter, cascading down onto Jim, Toby, and the lawn below.

"Oh! Home run! Whoo!"

"It's like a ticker tape parade of awesome!"

"What is this mockery?"

"Oh, hey, Draal. Just working on some sword fighting skills."

"The Sword of Daylight is not a toy to be played with. It is a hallowed obligation I have spent my entire life training to be worthy of."

"You want to take it for a spin?"

With a smile, Jim extends the weapon towards Draal, who snorts in response. Draal observes with small eyes, initially puzzled by the gesture before comprehending the situation. His large hand reaches out for the sword, grasping it gently and lifting it high, a smile spreading across his face as he feels its weight in his hand. The reflection of his father briefly appears before the sword glows and vanishes, returning to Jim's hands. Draal bows his head with a tinge of sadness, the image of his father lingering in his thoughts. Jim, on the other hand, can't help but offer his apologies.

"Sorry. I forgot."

"If my destiny is to not hold the sword, perhaps it is to teach you how to properly wield it."

Draal's gaze lands on a floor lamp among the items designated for Jim's destruction. Seizing the object, he discards the lampshade and begins swinging furiously, advancing toward Jim, who backs up with a startled gasp. The TrollHunter performs a series of impressive maneuvers, twirling and wielding the lamp before aiming the lightbulb at Jim. Anticipating the blow, Jim shuts his eyes, but it never lands. When he opens them again, he sees the lightbulb hovering above his head. Though he knew he should have trusted Draal, Jim couldn't shake the lingering distrust from their earlier conflict over the amulet. Adjusting to Draal's presence in his life remained a challenge for him.