Chapter-18

Nandini's Pov

It had been a month since I came back home.As always,my brother went to Us leaving me all alone.My mom was angry and yelling while making food as I isolated myself inside my house and locked myself inside my room.It's not a big deal for me as my parents always try to control me.My eyes were on my book as I tried to ignore her voice.

My room was full of novels.There was a window near my bed and a table against the wall beside my bed.A cupboard beside my 3 shelves.I didn't have a single photo of myself.I hated seeing my face.Suddenly my door opened with a loud thud.My mom was standing and staring me with her angry expression.She snatched the book from me.I stood up and stared her.

"Pardh le.Pura din bas novel pardti rehti hai.Na kahi jaati hai aur na kissi se baat karti hai",she yelled.

[Study.All day you're busy reading novels.You don't go anywhere or call anyone]

"Mom give my book",I said trying to snatch the book from her.She stepped back.

"Nandini,tum bilkul nahi pardhti.Pata nahi kaunsa paap kiya jab tum paida hui.Ek toh fashion designing lekar pehle hi naak katake rakhi hai.Teri bua ne toh tujhe tailor bhi bol diya.Tujhe toh humari padi hi nahi hai na?Bas apne man ka karti hai.",she said giving that same lecture.

[Nandini, you don't study at all.I don't know what bad sins I did that I have birth to you.First you chose to study fashion designing and made us embarassed in front of everyone.Your aunt was saying that you will be tailor.You don't think about us na?Just do whatever you want to do.]

I took a sigh and stared her,"Ma mujhe fashion designing pasand hai.Mujhe dusro se koi pharak nahi parta.Ab meri book wapis karo",I tried to snatch the book

[Mom,I like fashion designing.I don't care what others think.Now return my book]

She threw the book on the floor and stared at me,"Pura din bas phone ya book mein lagi rehti hai.Tujhe farak nahi parta but humein parta hai.Humesha se apni hi toh suni hai tune."

[All day you're on your phone or book.You don't care about others but we do.You always listen to yourself]

She's like that.She wanted me to give the civil services exam but I want to pursue fashion designing.They think it's useless.

"Mom bas karo!Meri life hai aur mein wahi karungi joh mujhe pasand hai.",I said raising my voice.

[Mom enough! It's my life and I will do whatever I like]

She slapped me and said pointing her finger towards me in fury,"Badi ho gayi hai na tu toh but bhulna mat ki hum hi teri fees bharte hai."

[You grew up na but don't forget that we only pay for your college]

I tried to control my tears as I stared at her,"Mein koi machine nahi hu.I have my own life.Mein Aakash jaisi nahi ban sakti joh ap logo ke kehne par lawyer ban gaya.Mujhse nahi hoga.",I raised my voice. once again.

[I am not a machine.I have my life.I am not like Aakash who became a lawyer because of you.I can't do this]

My mom threw my book that was kept on the table on the floor and yelled,"Tu ho bhi nahi sakti!You always do what you want.You think that I am your enemy then fine.",she said going out of my room.

[You can never be him!....]

I closed the door and crouched myself against the door.Tears started flowing but I can't make noise or else she will curse me for that too.My parents want me to be an IAS but I never liked it.They always forced me to be that perfect child who is a show-off material for them and that's why I didn't like them.I know they do it for my own good and I am thankful to them but they were never a supportive parents to me.They didn't actually understand me.