Chapter 8

It's about 2:30 when our group consensus is to leave the club. They're all still drunk, but I feel fine after some time has gone by. Something about meeting the most gorgeous woman in the world will sober you right up. As Jamie is on the phone with her brother while we're in the lobby, I make up a lie to stay.

"Hey guys, I just got a text from my dad saying he's here right now. Some high roller client of his flew in last minute so he's on the property. I'll hang and get a ride from him."

"You sure? Your car is at Jamie's," Tayler seems displeased to split up.

"Yeah it's fine! I want to see him. I'll grab it in the morning. You guys go ahead!" Tayler gives me a suspicious and curious look and mouths the words, "Text me."

I walk away and find a bathroom. I grab my little purse and pull the note Claire gave me along with a few pieces of gum and chew rigorously. I look in the mirror of the bathroom, stare at myself for a moment, fix my hair, fix my make up, and pause. Gathering my thoughts, I notice my hands jittering. I wasn't nervous earlier, but I am now.

I spit the gum out and make my way to room 3276. The casino is filled with gamblers and drunks. I find the elevator to the tower suites and press floor 32. My heart is pounding, my hands are clammy, and my breathing is heavy. The last time I was in this condition was when I had to give a speech in fifth grade to my whole school why I should be president.

The elevator doors open, and I step out. I can't go to Claire's room like this. I stop before I go down her hallway to calm myself down. I give myself a pep talk, "It's just a girl, just a normal human being. You don't even know her, she doesn't know you, there's nothing to lose here. Chill Parker. Don't be a weirdo." I take two deep breaths and walk down the hall, examining the room numbers.

I get to 3276 and don't hear anything. No music, no people, nothing. Maybe she isn't even here. I knock.

It's the sound of a door unlocking that makes my heart pound faster.

"So where are you from?'' She answers the door in a pair of jeans, cozy socks, and a zip up hoodie. Her makeup is slightly different, her hair the same.

"Here actually. My dad works for this hotel." I manage to spit some words out of my jittering mouth.

"No kidding? Come in." She holds the door for me as I walk inside her suite.

Immediately, I see a grand view of the Las Vegas strip. There's two couches, a coffee table with magazines on it, a bar, and a bedroom just off to the side.

"Are you sleepy?" She asks me.

"Not at all." I feel like I've had three cups of coffee.

"How about a change of clothes? Personally, I prefer any type of shoe over heels." I nod, and she leads me to the bedroom where she goes into her closet and pulls out a pair of gray sweatpants and a black t-shirt and hands them to me. "Should fit you fine. What size shoe are you?"

"Uh 8. Are we going somewhere?" I walk to the bathroom to change.

"I want you to take me around the city tonight. Well I guess it's today. Show me things only a local would know." She's yelling to me as I'm putting on probably the most expensive pair of sweatpants I'll ever wear; she's shuffling around for some shoes.

"The strip is pretty much the highlight to anyone visiting if I'm being honest." The clothes do fit perfectly. I walk out to her sitting on the bed examining me.

"Perfect fit." She smiles and hands me the shoes. "How often in your life do you get to stay up through the night and explore a city with a stranger?" She does have a point.