Chapter 13

The rest of my week feels like a blur as the only thing on my mind is getting to New York City. I keep myself occupied as much as possible at work but the thought of sleeping next to Claire haunts me in the back of my mind. Every night I fall asleep thinking about what Megan and Trent said, how I should recall what Trent did to me all those times we hooked up and be selfless. I fantasize about what I would do to Claire; how I'd kiss her, where I'd kiss her, where I'd touch her, everything. I fantasize about everything.

I rapidly pack up my things at my desk Thursday and hurry home. I still have about six hours until my flight, but I can't benefit my company anymore with how distracted I am by Claire; it's best I take my imagination and big, goofy smile home. I finish packing up the rest of my suitcase and toiletries dancing to the sounds of 80's hits. I'm a sucker for 80's music.

Megan calls me down for dinner; salmon and veggies. I walk into the kitchen and, with the immediate smell of fish, I know Megan isn't pleased for dinner yet again. I wouldn't say I'm a health nut, but watching countless documentaries on food and obesity has scared the shit out of me; doesn't seem to bother Megan as she picks up McDonalds breakfast on the way to school.

"Excited for your big weekend?" My dad sniffs the salmon he just made and forks it into his mouth.

"Been excited all week! Should be a great weekend; I'm really looking forward to my first work conference."

"Megan, you're taking her to the airport, right? I want to go to bed early tonight." He looks to her with the same piece of salmon slowly being chewed in his mouth.

"Yep, and then going to Paige's house after." She tosses her food around her plate.

"Now is Paige a friend or um... not a friend?" My dad still has a hard time finding the words to ask Megan if girls she hangs out with are girlfriends or just friends.

"Just a friend, dad. She has a boyfriend."

After I finish dinner, and Megan leaves half the vegetables still on her plate, I go back to my room and call Claire.

"Well hello there," she answers with her voice low, and it gives me chills just hearing her.

"Is this a good time?" I know she's had a busy and stressful week; last thing I want to do is annoy her.

"Perfect time, just got home. You packed up and ready to come to the big city?"

"I have a lot of expectations for New York so I hope you deliver. I don't remember much since I visited about ten years ago."
"It'll be the most incredible time in your life. I'm really glad you decided to come, Parker." I can hear her moving around on her bed or couch in the background and I picture what her apartment looks like; I picture her staining every ounce of the place with her blissful and intoxicating perfume.

"Thank you for the invite and seriously thank you for using your miles to fly me out. You didn't have to do that."

"What's done is done. Text me when you take off and when you land, I'll be waiting. Sweet dreams." Her voice leaves me wanting to teleport to New York right this second.

"Goodnight, Claire." I hold the phone in my hand smiling from ear to ear.

The few hours go by and Megan comes to my room with keys in her hand, giving me the signal she's ready when I am. I've been ready since Monday. I grab my suitcase from the corner, my backpack from the bed, and lug myself down the stairs. I say goodbye to my dad and go over the usual communication routine; call every morning and every night. As we head to the airport, Megan spots a McDonalds, looks at the clock in her car, and turns into the shopping center. I look at her and smirk.