Chapter 15

It's when the sunrise peers through the window curtains that I slowly open my eyes. I take a deep breath and see my hand still on Claire's side; neither of us moved an inch. I move my hand to stretch my arms and body awake and feel Claire moving her legs around. Since she's rolled over I couldn't see the phone in her hand when I went to kiss her shoulder. She must've been up a little longer than I have.

She finished typing something and put it down to roll over to me. Neither of us say anything, just tangling our legs and hands together. She lets out a few cute groans when stretching one arm out across my face and I laugh, playfully pushing her arm off and moving my body down. We cuddle a bit more when my head is laying on her stomach and she's playing with my hair.

"So, what do you have planned for us today?" I mumble and kiss her abdomen.

"It might be a bit windy but we're going to take a ferry tour. Is that okay?"

"Of course. I'll wear my fanny pack," I make her laugh and that makes me smile and kiss her more.

It doesn't take long for me to get ready when she's still trying to figure out what to do with her hair. I look at her from the bedroom and smile as she stares in the mirror holding a hair tie in her hand. I walk out to the living room thinking it's probably a good idea to call my dad and text my friends after realizing they sent me multiple messages wondering what I'm up to.

"You're lucky I'm up early," his mouth sounds full of food. "How's the convention? What's on the agenda today?" No suspicion, I'm still in the clear.

"It's really cool, I've met a lot of people, have gotten to know my coworkers, and I've seen some nerdy things!" I feel a little guilty with how good of a liar I am. "Today there are a few guest speakers and tech presenters I think so I'll call you later."

"Okay have a good day. Have you talked to your mom?" He asks as he bites into something and chews.

"I texted her a little bit yesterday." My mom and I keep it short and simple, she's not up my ass as much.

"Good. Well, have fun. Call me later."

"Okay, love you."

I read a few more messages. One from Tayler, to which I respond that I'm wrapped up all weekend. Another few from Megane.

"What the heck is going on over there?!" "I'm dying to know."

I respond to her that we're keeping busy and I'll have a full report when I get back.

I feel guilty for lying to my dad and Tayler for a few minutes when Claire walks into the room and my mind shifts elsewhere. She decided on a simple pony tail that probably took no effort at all yet looks flawless.

"I just called Edan and he should be downstairs with the car in a bit." She walks over to the pantry and grabs two waters.

"Sounds good. Just gonna respond to a few texts, might have forgotten to tell my friends I was leaving town."

"Do they know about me?" I can't read her expression if it's concerning or just curious.

"They saw us dancing at the club but that's all they think happened." I freeze for a moment. "Should I tell them? I mean my sister knows..." I feel anxious and nervous; I don't want to ruin anything.

"Well I've told my best friend about you and Edan is sworn to confidentiality but that's up to you! Don't think you have to hide things just because of my profession, you have a life too. I trust you."

"You told your best friend?" My nervousness went away the minute she said that, and I feel like a giddy kid inside.

"You met her at the club, the one who stopped that loser from talking to you so I could steal you away." She let out a small laugh and felt her phone ringing in her hand to see Edan calling. "Shall we?"