Thirty

That's what your love does to me

You make me feel

Like I never had my heart broken

Eleanor looked in the mirror once more, running her hands nervously over the front of her dress. She messed with her hair a little more. She rechecked her make-up, wiping a small smudge from the corner of her mouth. 

"Wow.." Buck stood in awe in the doorway. Eleanor turned and looked at him with a small smile on her face. "You look amazing," her face lit up at his comment.

"You don't look too bad yourself," she smiled as she moved closer, closing the space between them. Buck was dressed in a velvet red suit with shiny black shoes. She stood on her tippy toes and pressed her lips to Buck's. Buck wrapped his arms around her waist, holding her close to him. Eleanor pulled away and laughed lightly.

"What?" Buck looked at her questioningly. Eleanor reached up and wiped his lip with her thumb.

"Red's not really your color," they shared another laugh.

"Ready to go?" 

"Just need my shoes," Eleanor sat on the edge of the bed and reached for her heels. Buck kneeled in front of her and grabbed the heel out of her hand. He slipped it on her foot and buckled the strap before moving to the next one. Buck stood back up and held his hand out for Eleanor. She grabbed it, pulling herself off the bed. 

****

"I'm so excited!" Eleanor fidgeted in the seat as Buck drove. "I love your surprises."

"Oh, you're going to love this one. I know it," Buck reached for her hand and intertwined their fingers. Their hands rested on Eleanor's thigh. After a few more minutes they finally pulled into the restaurant parking lot.

"This looks really fancy," Eleanor's eyes bulged as she took in the bright lights that adorned the mansion-sized restaurant. Buck parked before looking at the girl in admiration. He loved seeing her get so excited. It also made me sad to think of all the things she's missed out on because of Michael. But nothing beats the child-like behavior when she experiences something new.

"Ready?"

"Yeah!" Eleanor quickly unbuckled. Buck jogged around to her side before she impatiently opened the door herself. He pulled the door open and she practically jumped out. She held his hand and stayed close to him as they walked to the door. A doorman in a sky-blue suit greeted them as he held the door open. "Oh my god. Buck, there's a doorman."

"Yes, yes there is," Buck smiled at her enthusiasm. Eleanor's wide eyes couldn't stop roaming as they walked through the restaurant. It was dimly lit with about a hundred tables. There was so much space none of them were super close so you still had privacy. 

They stopped at a small podium in the corner to check-in. The girl behind the podium smiled flirtatiously at Buck as if Eleanor didn't even exist. 

"Is she serious?" Eleanor whisper yelled as she walked away to check on their table.

"What?" 

"Buck, she pretty much just undressed you with her eyes. How did you not see that? And I'm standing right here. Is this what it's like for you all the time?" Buck smiled at her jealously. He reached for her face, resting his hand on her cheek as he pulled her face toward his. He passionately pressed his lips to hers. The waitress cleared her throat. Buck pulled away, Eleanor's face was as red as an apple. 

"Right this way," the girl glared at Eleanor before turning and walking the couple to their table. She set the menus down on the table and walked away without another word or look. Buck and Eleanor shared a laugh as he pulled out the chair for her.

"I don't think you have to worry about her anymore."

"Now I just have to worry about her poisoning my food," they shared another laugh.

"It is always like that," Buck answered her earlier question. "But I only want you." Eleanor could feel her cheeks burning. She swore they were going to melt off by the time tonight was over.

The table was quiet as the pair looked through the menus. Buck kept stealing glances at Eleanor, he couldn't keep his eyes off of her. Especially tonight, in that dress. If he didn't have such an important night planned they never would've made it out of that apartment. 

The waiter came and took their order. They talked about various topics as they waited. When the food arrived they ate in a comfortable silence. Buck smiled as Eleanor picked at his plate a little. It was something he had gotten used to because she almost always did it. 

Buck started to get excited though nobody's excitement could beat Eleanor's. It was time for dessert and this is where the surprise comes in. Buck couldn't wait to see the look on her face. He stared past Eleanor and watched as the waiter carefully carried off the dessert. It was one of her favorites. A brownie topped with strawberry ice cream drizzled with chocolate syrup lots of whipped cream and one cherry. With 'Will you marry me?' written in chocolate syrup as well. On top of the whipped cream right next to the cherry will be the ring that he and Christopher picked out.

Just as the waiter set the plate before she could even look at it someone in the restaurant let out a blood-curdling scream. Eleanor and Buck both shot up from their seats, the medical side of the taking over. They looked around trying to locate the source of the scream. A woman ten tables down yelled and waved her hands in the air. 

"Someone call 9-1-1," Buck yelled as they both raced over. 

Next to the screaming, crying woman was an unconscious man on the floor. "Ma'am, I'm gonna need you to calm down. Okay?" Eleanor guided the woman to her chair. "Can you tell me what happened?" Buck checked on the man on the floor.

"We were eating and he started having trouble breathing. Then he just fell over. I don't know what happened."

"Looks like an allergic reaction," Buck chimed in. 

The woman looked around the table. Her eyes widen. "Oh my god, we told them he was allergic."

"It's okay, we're gonna help him." Eleanor grabbed a spoon and straw off the table before kneeling beside Buck. "Here," she handed him the lady's phone for a light. He held it steady while she worked. People crowded around, watching in awe. 

Eleanor used the handle of the spoon as a compressor and gently inserted the straw. "Damn it, it's not big enough. Buck," she looked back at Buck who was already reaching for the waiter's pen. He handed it to her. "I love you," she smiled.

She quickly uncapped it with her teeth and took it apart. Once she had just the hollow piece she replaced the straw with the pen. It was completely silent as they waited a minute. The guy's eyes shot open and he gasped for air. Buck and Eleanor shared a look of relief.  

"That was amazing, thank you." The woman kneeled beside her date. 

"That was pretty amazing," Buck smiled. 

"EMS, step aside please," two paramedics made their way through the crowd with a gurney.

Buck and Eleanor let them take over and headed back to their table. Eleanor plopped down in her chair and grabbed a spoon, ready to dig into her somewhat melted dessert. "Wait!" Buck tried to stop her but it was too late. She had already taken a huge bite.

Both of their eyes went wide as they stared at each other. He didn't know if she had gotten the ring or not but he was ready if she did. Eleanor swallowed the big bite she had taken but it didn't all go down. She coughed, trying to bring up whatever was stuck in her throat. Buck rushed over and immediately started the heimlic. It didn't take long for her to spit up the ring which flew across the table and landed by Buck's chair. 

"Are you okay?" Buck held her at arm's length. Eleanor nodded. Buck walked back around the table and picked up the ring. "Surprise?" He nervously smiled.

A/N: I was so excited for this one! I laughed while writing it. And a little nod to Lone Star :)