MEAN BEANS

Earl and his father arrived at their local grocery store. This grocery store seemed pretty average to any other grocery store in the planet, but Earl's father always enjoyed this specific grocery store, Kang's Grocery Shop, due to its cheap pricing. That was what made it special to Earl's father, but to Earl himself, it wasn't what the grocery store offered that drew him into the place, it was who owned it. Mr. Kang was a huge Sega nerd just like Earl was, maybe even a bigger one. Earl and Mr. Kang often challenge each other by playing games from Sega's long and never-ending catalog. Earl knew that once he set foot in Mr. Kang's store, he can never let his guard down.

Earl and his father stopped by the 'Fruits and Vegetables' aisle of the store, picking out the assortment of fruits Earl's brother has listed.

"Earl, sonny, grab a bunch of bananas would ya? Your brother wrote down the word 'Banana' fifty-si-no... fifty-seven times."

Earl nodded, heading to the banana stand and grabbing a ton of the special yellow fruit. He placed them in bags and brought them over to his father's shopping cart.

"Alright, now the list says we gotta get some beans. You go get 'em Earl, I'll stay here and get the rest of the fruits 'n' veggies'."

Earl walked to the 'Beans' aisle, taking in the sight of big tubs of different kinds of beans ready to be scooped up and paid by the pound. The Sega fanboy didn't know what kind to get, so he just scooped a bag of pinto beans and called it a day. Until, he noticed something peculiar about the 'Beans' aisle. Two seemingly robotic creatures were there, grabbing as many beans they could carry. At first, Earl felt like ignoring these two robots, but they seemed familiar to him... like he's seen them before.

Earl built up the courage to walk up to these random robots and began to speak.

"Uh... who are you guys?"

The two robots quickly turned their faces to Earl, noticing the boy and his outfit. Once they started speaking, Earl finally connected the dots.

"We are the members of the Super Special Sonic Search And Smash Squad! I am Grounder and this is-"

"SHUT IT YOU BIG DUMB DUMB! This kid could be working for Sonic!"

Earl couldn't believe his eyes.

"Oh. Uh... yeah! you could be right!"

"So KID. What do you want? What could possibly be so important to keep us from getting these beans to Robotnik?"

"I uh... just wanted to let you guys know I'm a big fan of you guys!"

Earl began making up things to say to Scratch and Grounder, hoping they wouldn't try to kill him, or worse, annoy him.

"Oh well that's great to hear kid! But don't distract us! We're helping Doctor Robotnik build his Mean Bean Machine! And you are not helping! Let's go Grounder."

"Oh uh yeah! Let's go!"

Scratch and Grounder were just about to leave the scene, until Scratch finally realized the design on Earl's shirt [pictured below].