Seashells by the Seashore

In those first weeks of spring, Farmer found herself to be quite busy, so she didn't come down to visit me as often as I hoped. However, when Farmer did come around she would bashfully bring me seashells as a gift.

I found this endearing. Sure, I am not particularly fond of shells, but the idea of Farmer stopping on her way to my small cabin to collect a couple a shells just to be able to gift them to me warmed my heart.

It was on one of these lucky days that I had been enjoying the crash of waves on the docks. Then she came up to me. I was distracted by the ocean, so I did not realize her presence until she placed a hand amongst my shoulder.

"Hello Elliott." She said sweetly.

"Hello Farmer, are you well?" I replied, a smile I could not withhold formed on my lips as I said her name.

"As well as I can be, and I brought you a gift," she took out a particularly beautiful clam shell.

"Ah, you've been doing some beach combing, a fine hobby, thank you." I replied, taking the shell in my hands.

It was in this instance that I realized how small her hands were compared to mine,"Are your hands better at picking shells because of their size?"

"Oh- um, I'm not sure. Maybe I just got a nack for foraging." She told me hesitantly.

"Is that why you keep bringing me shells?"

"Mayor Lewis gave me the responsibility of fixing the community center, and I need alot of things to fix it up. I have been running up and down the town trying to find everything. I've been so busy with that, and the farm, and mining, shells are easy to find and give." Farmer looked down a bit shamefully, but I placed a hand on her shoulder to show that I understood.

"That is rather kind of you Farmer."

Her eyes seemed to go somewhere else for a second,
"I'm just trying to be a good neighbor, you know?"

"I'm kind of new to this town myself, but I really feel at home. I only moved here a year before you," I took in the beautiful reflection of the sun against the now calm ocean waters,"I hope you can think of this place as home."

And the gorgeous smile I had been waiting for grew on her face. It was as if she was the reason the waters were reflecting light.

"I promised Leah I'd join her for a drink, care to accompany me?" I foolishly asked, regretting that I might be too forward.

"Sadly I'm going to have to give you a raincheck on that invite. I gotta do a late-nighter on the farm."

"That makes sense Farmer, you are truly a noble worker."

She giggled a lovely melody and began to walk away, "Maybe next time, Elliot."

Maybe next time...

———————————————————————————

On the way to the saloon, I found myself full of thoughts, a strike of inspiration rushing through me like blood.

"Leah, what do you think of the farmer?"

"Oh she's wonderful. Just the other day she came over and we talked about art."

"Do you often feel restless after meeting with Farmer?"