A Regretful Dance

The day felt uniquely special. As if the valley had known rain would ruin this small town's celebration, the sun came out to shine. Its reflection across the sand was urging me to write. However, just for the day I could channel my passions into dancing.

The Flower Dance was one of my preferred celebrations in Pelican Town, albeit I did not prefer the tacky blue suits all the men have to wear.

At least I got to select my shirt. I looked amongst my tops, most were white button ups.

No.. I have to find something new. A flare. Something to add an elegant touch. My mind wandered to Farmer and her flowy dress, I wondered if she would wear the traditional white dress the ladies wore. No, I doubt Lewis would allow it.

I managed to select an old shirt Willy had given me. Quite pirate-y, it had a lower lace-up collar with ruffles along the cuffs. Perhaps it could bring a romantic twist to the traditional blue.

Checking the time, I realized that I might just miss the beginning of the Flower Dance. I hurriedly dressed myself and ran into town square, forgetting which direction was the event.

"Running late, Elliott?" I turned to meet eyes with Harvey, Maru just behind.

"Indeed I am, I faced a little wardrobe malfunction this morning." I said as Harvey chuckled.

"Oh come on, at least you guys don't have to lace up in a pilgrim dress." Maru joked.

While the dress was old fashioned, pilgrim seemed like the least comparable word for it. I always found the dresses to be quite beautiful, white with short puffed sleeves, a puffed knee-length skirt, and tied up with green ribbon in the back.

"Well Maru, you look lovely in your dress, even with the struggles of putting it on." I said.

Maru smiled and walked ahead. I followed their direction to the Cindersap Forest.

"Do you think Farmer will be dancing this year?" Harvey asked.

I pondered the idea, "I don't think so, she's quite new, who would be her partner?"

"You were new as well." Maru stated matter-of-factly.

"Yes, but so was Leah, and the Mayor practically paired us away. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to dance. Does Farmer even have the dress?"

Maru shrugged and Harvey spoke up, "Maybe someone would be willing to step out this year so that Farmer can participate."

"Perhaps." I said, still quite doubtful. Everyone already has their pairs, most of whom were close friends. It would seem like a betrayal to replace them as your partner wouldn't it?

Me and Leah had been dance partners a year prior and we agreed to continue dancing together as a tradition. I recall not knowing her during our first dance, now she's one of my closest friends.

There was also a romantic insinuation in asking someone to be your partner, which wasn't the case for most of us, but I knew some of the townsfolk did have a liking to their dance partners.

We continued to trek through the forest until the sound of folk music filled the air and you could hear the chatter of the town.

"I don't think I've ever been so late to the dance before." Harvey said while anxiously fidgeting with his watch.

Although we were an hour late, surely the others would understand it was due to the trek through the forest.

"At least we are fashionably late!" I exclaimed, patting his shoulder. Harvey was wearing an identical blue suit, a white button up and the brown tie he always wore. Had one not been aware of Pelican Town's tradition, we would have been mistaken as a duo.