Moonlight, Soft Eyes

The last day of Summer came all too fast. I ate a quick breakfast and I basked in the last of the Summer sun, knowing that cool foggy mornings were coming next season. As much as I despised the sun burns, the sweaty days, and the terrible rains, I enjoyed the small freckles that scattered across my skin. As I lied down on the warm sand, I heard a gruff voice call out to me.

"Oi lass, you think yer can help me with the floating lights?"

"Oh of course Willy," I said while standing up.

We began to walk towards the docks and we began to tie the floating candles to the docks.

"I just hope the jellyfish show this year. With all the waste from Joja mart I'm not quite sure they will." Willy said in a sigh.

"I've put up posters to pay anyone cleaning up trash in the waters, you would be surprised with how much trash Sam has shown me just from the rivers.." I said defeatedly. I wished that we all took better care of the waters, for the sake of the precious sea-life.

"Traditions like these are beautiful reminders of the ocean though.." I said while placing a candle on the water.

"On a brighter note lad, the Moonlight jellies is a good time to hold close a pretty lady friend." He said, looking at me through the corner of his eye.

"What do you mean?"

"If I were to like a lassie, I'd invite 'er to come.. and when she gets cold I'd give the lady me coat. And while she look upon the beautiful jellyfish I would slowly place me arm around the lady.." He said with a smirk.

"You speak with experience don't you Willy?" I joked, Willy's eyebrows shot up and he cleared his throat as his cheeks reddened.

"Perhaps I had a lady or two in my time." He replied.

"What a scandal!" I teased and he shook his head, grabbing the last of the candles.

"I think that's all boy, thank you for the help. My knees aren't what 'ey used to be."

"I'm always here to assist you, besides, how else would I receive the wisdom of a fisherman?" I said while helping him stand up.

"Eh, I got reason to give you advice. Me n' Gus have a bet goin' on if you or Harvey are gonna get with Farmer. My moneys on you lad, so you best not let me down!"

So that's why Gus has been so cold to me as of late.. these old men and their bets.

"Well I hope you win Willy, for the both of our sakes."

Willy placed a gruff hand on my shoulder, "Lady-folk don't wait for no one, you bet'r go ask her to join yer at the dance of the jellies now."

I was a bit shocked, but nodded and went on my way to find Farmer, hoping she might 'accompany' me to the viewing.

———————————————————————————

I anxiously awaited in front of Farmer's doorstep. I was too afraid to knock, contemplating what I wanted to say.

"Care to accompany me- no. Would you join me to the- no, no, no. Hey, wanna come along to the- no that sounds off." I continuously murmured to myself.

"I know I told you that you are welcome anytime. However, I don't know if that invitation still stands if you're being possessed by demons, Elliott." A sudden voice called out from behind me.

"Farmer!"

I melted under her gaze, forgetting everything I had rehearsed. She was leaning against her hoe, looking at me with a honey-sweet smile.