Flowers for Eliott

Letters are one of the easiest forms of writing, there is a clear format to follow, but you have the freedom on its topic and length. This one was rather simple, yet I couldn't find the right words. Surrounded by my failed attempts, I wondered how such a marvelous woman could inspire me to write a novel, but the ability to write a letter for her alluded me.

"No no... it's too formal." I murmured to myself, throwing away my second to last paper.

My last chance. Perhaps something conclusive and straightforward would suffice.

Farmer,

I have great news, my novel is finished!! I'm giving a public reading this afternoon at the library. I hope to see you there.

- Sincerely, Elliott

That would have to do. The letter itself was not any problem, it was the letter's purpose. If she does not accept the invitation then I will be a fool reading my heart out to an audience of my peers.

Embarrassment settled in my stomach. Surely that would never happen.

I quickly ran through the town to Farmer's plot of land. I stood in front of her door, with a fear of being caught by the glowing ring around my hand. I gently tucked the letter into her mailbox and caught my breath. There was no taking it all back, tomorrow afternoon I would be confessing to Farmer.

———————————————————————————

It was still dark outside when Leah knocked on my door, I had expected her to come early however.

"There is A-LOT to do." She said while flinging the door open carelessly.

"Did you get the suit?" I asked.

"Nooo, I completely forgot to work with Emily for a whole month to make you a fancy suit and bring it for your confession. Duh, I brought the suit." Leah said with a thick sarcastic tone.

She presented me with the suit on a hanger, as well as her own dress on another hanger.

"Oh my Yoba, it's perfect."

The suit would seem like any other suit at first glance, but it was the details that mattered. The cream button up was embroidered by machine, and had my favorite literary masterpieces referenced on it in gold thread. The coat and pants were a matching deep green which Leah had painted intricate floral patterns on the cuffs and collar.

As for her dress, it was a stunning ocean blue, with layers that rippled down like waves and long flowing sleeves.

"First off, go take a shower and put it on. Then we can tackle hair, make up, and the game plan for today. Sound good?"

I nodded and quickly washed. I was beyond nervous, so much so that it was near impossible to button up the shirt.

When I was done dressing I saw that Leah had changed and begun tying her hair into a regal bun.

"So, I know the plan but I also don't know the plan. Enlighten me Elliott." She asked while fussing with loose strands of hair.

"I- while I assume what you know is what I know. I will wait for Farmer to arrive, I will read the book I wrote for her, and then.. hope she understands..."

Leah pinched her nose bridge, "As romantic as having to sit there and hear you read for three hours is going to be, you can't assume that she will understand. You have to plan to tell her afterwards."

"Oh- then I will. I will tell her she is... everything to me." My voice became soft as confidence bubbled up in my chest.

"There we go, now let's deal with this rat's nest of yours."