Coffee Black in my Bed at Three

It was all the more evident that the issue could not be ignored. I had taken a liking to Farmer. And so had Harvey.

"How's the wine?" Leah asked, coming to sit alongside me on her bed.

"It's quite lovely." I replied.

Leah sighed and looked into her glass, "I'm just gonna say, I told you so."

"Ah Yoba, don't start." I said bashfully.

"I can understand. You have been hidden off your whole life. What would be a teenage right of passage is coming full force now." Leah chuckled, "Man, I remember my first real crush, had you told me she went off with some dude at a dance, I would've cried for a whole week."

"And what happened between you and her?"

"She was straight and dated a guy. It broke my heart, and I cried for a whole week." She stated, taking a sip of wine.

"Don't tell me such pessimistic things!" I cried out.

"No, it's important you hear it. Elliott, you are a serial romantic. Everything is a part of your literary world. And it's beautiful you see the world that way, but it has also made you a hermit hidden deep in its own shell."

Yoba... why must she be so blatant about the truth.

"You like Farmer, right?"

I paused, struggling to come to terms with a phrase. It was more vast than the world like. Not quite love, but enjoyment.

"I do... I adore her."

Leah slammed her hand down on the bookshelf. "Then do something about it! Harvey is really beating you to the punch."

"Do you believe she reciprocates Harvey's feelings?" I felt the boiling feeling in my chest again.

"No, I don't think she likes either of you romantically. Farmer is amicable, but she's also busy and career oriented. She's focused on getting this town back in order."

"So what does that entail for me?"

Leah paused to think, "Do what she loves Elliott, help the town. Also, get out of that dang shack every once in a while."

"That sounds manageable.." I sighed in relief.

Leah really had a way of snapping sense back into me. She's lived a lot more life than I have, despite being younger.

"I know you're busy with your writing, so I'd start with some help-wanted posters. Simple things like collecting trash, or maybe getting fish for Willy. I've already seen Sam helping out around the town because of the posters." She smiled excitedly, I was aware of Leah saving money in order to put up posters that encouraged cleaning the forest or planting native flowers. It made sense to follow suit.

I finished drinking the last of my wine, and the reality of how I felt seemed to settle down. I liked Farmer, and it didn't have to carry such a large expectation for the future. It could be just that, dare I say, a crush. My jealousy diminished towards Harvey, albeit only slightly.

"Oh, by the way, Farmer told me she has her first annual checkup with Harvey on the second of Summer. I think since I'm your wingwoman now, you outta know." Leah told me with a wink.

My face became warm in frustration as jealousy waved over me. However, it was not as overbearing as before, just slightly.

———————————————————————————