#12 Intezaar

The airbase skies are bright at 5 in the morning. Tanvi hurries to the hangar in sector 53 where the first of the Shakti aircraft drills are supposed to take place. She is half an hour late as against her reporting time because she overslept. To add to that, she couldn't find a transport vehicle right away. Now she's an hour behind her reporting schedule. This never happened before. She is prepared to apologize to Harjot and fully receive her wrath, any other disciplinary action too. Anything is acceptable. But she just doesn't want to miss any action.

But to her horror, it turns out she arrived way too late. Or it's possible Harjot ma'am was in a hurry. The superior officer isn't present in the hangar; there is no sign of Samrat, and one of the Shakti aircraft is missing!

 The superior officer isn't present in the hangar; there is no sign of Samrat, and one of the Shakti aircraft is missing!

Tanvi curls her fists in disappointment. Samrat... his smile would have been her pillar of support. Wait, one out of thirteen Shakti aircraft is missing and so is Samrat! This means???

"Samrat ne—"

Panicking slightly, Tanvi turns to the engineering girls, the only ones present in the hangar. The other pilots are missing too! Probably they are with Harjot? Where's Samrat?

"You girls,Samrat ki plane take off ho gayi? Itni jaldi? Tum logon ne uski final check toh kar di hai na?"

One of the girls replies in a nonchalant tone, "Final check? Harjot ma'am was in a hurry. Aur Samrat ko bhi koi pareshani nahi thi. Who bothers with the final check? Samrat was fine with it and so was Harjot ma'am. His plane took off not long ago."

Tanvi's jaw drops

Tanvi's jaw drops. "Arey, par aise kaise? Tum logon ko pata hai, take off se pehle ek final check to banta hai! Harjot ma'am bhi yeh jaanti hongi! Fir bhi?"

"Relax! Kisey rules ki padi hai? Harjot ma'am ke liye bhi sirf kaam se matlab hai! Aur Samrat! Shayad uske liye bhi! Bada hero banna chahta hai na hamesha! Bina sawal kiye, jab Harjot ma'am ne kaha, jet udao, udaa le gaya!"

Tanvi clicks her tongue. "tum log engineers ho, tumhe Harjot ma'am ko samjhana chahie tha! Ki ek final check ke bina take off nahi honi chahiye!"

A moment's silence. Another of the engineering girls breaks her silence. "Why would we bother for the guy who was mean to us during the Valentine's party?"