#18 Dosti ke Pal (II)

Despite wanting to sleep, Samrat and Tanvi lie awake on their respective beds throughout the night, dwelling deep into the beautiful memories of their shared friendship.

...

After the lavish yet cosy sagai event, most of the guests left for their homes, save for close relatives and friends, and superior officers from the airbase. Abhimanyu and Sameera were in the dimly lit garden outside the villa — the engagement venue, talking to Squadron Leader Uchit Ahluwalia. From a distance Samrat watched the three of them soon discussing defence related matters. Overhearing parts of their discussion caused Samrat to smile wistfully. There was no doubt in his mind, those in the armed forces, their unwavering dedication to the cause of the nation so far, had kept national security intact. He hadn't realised it before, but the thought of him being anything else but an airforce officer had become unimaginable. Just before he could drift more with these thoughts, he saw Tanvi running towards him.

The tables around are all empty. Those at the buffet table are busy cleaning up. There were so many delicacies to eat, Samrat remembered he had only indulged in the bare minimum thanks to Farhan and Tanvi's insistence.

Right behind Tanvi's approaching figure, seated at a table, were Farhan and Isha, lost in their own world, chatting and laughing.

"Sam!" Samrat shifted his gaze towards Tanvi, hearing her voice. She held out her pearl adorned wallet for him to hold. "Hold on to this for me, please!"

He took it and stared at her. "Tumhari wallet? Tum kahan ja rahi ho?"

 "Tumhari wallet? Tum kahan ja rahi ho?"

She threw him a funny look. "Arey, aise sawal ladkiyon se puchte nahin hai! Ladkiyon ke bahut sare secret kaam hote hain! Jiske bare mein woh kisi ko bata nahin sakte! Sambhal ke rakhna mera wallet! Khol ke dekhna mat!"

With that she went, leaving him alone to chuckle to himself. He eyed the wallet again between looking around the place. Farhan and Isha now joined Sameera and Abhimanyu's discussion with the squadron leader.

At least forty minutes passed, and Tanvi didn't return to retrieve her wallet. Seated on a garden bench, Samrat glanced at the wallet. It was pale pink coloured, shiny, lightweight, adorned with pearls. Khol ke dekhna mat! Her words popped into his head, only urging him to fiddle with the closure clip of the wallet. He chuckled again, wondering what the treasure was inside.

It was just a silly thought, and he was not truly about to open the wallet. Tanvi appeared out of nowhere, shrieking, "arey, maine bola tha na khol ke dekhna mat!"

 Tanvi appeared out of nowhere, shrieking, "arey, maine bola tha na khol ke dekhna mat!"