#20.2 Dost se Dushman? (II)

In a stroke of coincidence, Tanvi and Isha have lunch together in the cafeteria the following afternoon, comfortably seated next to the air conditioning. Farhan and Samrat are at a different table further away; Tanvi pretends the guys don't exist. Isha listens to the girl pal's woes from the previous night.

"One of these days, I really will punch that idiot Saumit, Isha!" Tanvi grits her teeth and brings a fist up.

"Tanz, you are so soft!" Isha says with a shake of her head. "Main hoti na, pehle din hi usey uthake patak deti!"

"Kya karu, yaar?" Tanvi sighs, looking at her half-eaten paratha meal. Isha pats her shoulder, reaching across the table.

"Just punch him, okay? Aur compliant bhi kar lena. Chance kyu le rahi? Abhi parathe khale! Don't overthink."

Tanvi nods and the two women officers dig into their lunch. Saumit approaches them as they are hallf-way eating. Tanvi is annoyed to see him show his face in the cafeteria.

"Saumit..." she mutters his name, thinking, yeh kamina fir aagaya.

" she mutters his name, thinking, yeh kamina fir aagaya

She glares at Saumit, rising from her chair. Isha also gears up to raise her fist if needed. Before they can do that, they notice Saumit has his right hand up to the elbow, wrapped in a cast. Tanvi speaks first.

"Saumit? Ab ye kya naya drama? Konsa sardard lekar aaya ider yaar?"

Saumit shakes his head, breaking into a humbled yet pained smile.

"Tanvi, actually, main yahan tumse apne pichhle kuchh dinon ki behaviour ke liye mafi maangne aaya hoon."

"Really? Tumhari akal thikane a gayi?" Tanvi mumbles under her breath, eyes widening in surprise. She clears her throat and glares at Saumit suspiciously. "Yeh tumhare hath ko kya ho gaya?"

"Woh... main neeche gir gaya!" Saumit shivers from head to toe as he speaks.

Tanvi believes his response directly results from him recalling what caused his injury.

"Tumhe pareshan kar raha tha na, Tanvi! Iski saza bhagwan ne de mujhe!" Saumit brushes off his nervousness and smiles, looking around the cafeteria with wide eyes, scanning for any imminent danger.