chapter 12

☘☘☘

Possibilities ran in my mind like a medley of annoying songs. It did not stop and even the most outrageous things popped inside my head.

Karma. Where is he and why is Arson acting like this? Why is he here?

Kumabog ang dibdib ko sa lakas ng tibok ng aking puso. Rinig na rinig ko sa aking tenga ang bawat tambol nito na bumibingi sa akin.

I wanted to stop the voices in my head. But to do that, I have to ask. So I opened my mouth and tried to say the question but my voice was gone.

Arson just stood there watching me. It's like he's waiting for me to speak before he says anything. He won't give me anything unless I ask.

So, I tried again. I cleared my throat and took a deep breath. I want to know. I have to know.

"W-What happened to him?" I stuttered. "Where is K-Karma?"

Arson stared at me with his cold, steady gaze. "He's in the branch headquarters."

"H-Headquarters?" More questions came into my mind. What is this branch headquarters? Why is Karma there? Is that for his work? If Arson can be here, why can't he? What is he doing?

"Do you want to see him?" Arson's question brought me back from my thoughts.

Do I want to see him? Of course I do. I've been waiting for a week. No. It has been more than a week. I've been waiting since that day he said he'll pick me up tomorrow yet that tomorrow never came.

Yes, Arson, I want to see him. I want to answer that. But why can't I say that one simple phrase?

Arson's stare did not falter. His gaze brought shivers to my spine like a cold shower in the morning. This isn't the playful Arson I met back in that party. This is the Arson that was talking to Karma last time. This is the serious Arson that was warning Karma.

My hands started to shake beside me. Pinaghawak ko ang mga ito para pigilan iyon. That caught his eyes and finally, his gaze averted away from my eyes.

He exhaled a breath. "Come with me."

Instead of turning around and walking out the door, Arson stepped into the unit even with his shoes on. Sa dami ng iniisip ko kanina, nakalimutan ko na ang tanong na paano siya nakapasok dito. He knows his way inside and he's even walking around with his shoes on like he owns this place.