Coffee stains darker than tea

Bing bong, bing bing

The screen came on suddenly, light filling the otherwise pitch black dorm room. The voice cut into any sweet dream, rendering them nightmares as Y/n roused from sleep.

"Good morning, everyone! It is now 7 a.m. and nighttime is officially over! Time to rise and shine! Get ready to greet another beee-yutiful day!" The monitor blared, Y/n putting his pillow over his face as he almost screamed.

He hated waking up early. His bones felt empty, his head felt dizzy, and his eyes unfocused as he reached out to grab his glasses.

Forcing himself up, he pushed off the bed and into the bathroom - turning on the hot water, undressing, then leaning his head against the cool tiled walls underneath the water. Slowly, the water woke up his aching body - but his mind was ever cloudy.

Y/n and sleep had a fuzzy relationship. When he had it, it was never enough - but when he didn't, nothing could make him rest. There wasn't much in between. So, waking up gradually became his least favourite part of the day.
During their school days, it wasn't uncommon for Sayaka to have to push the boy out of his bed. Some days, it would take more convincing.

Y/n smiled, thinking about when Sayaka had took the initiative to pour freezing water over his face to wake him - he jumped out of bed like a bat out hell, fight or flight in motion, before slipping on the hard wood floor of their bedroom and earning a rather impressive bruise across his chin. Maybe it seemed harsh, but to Y/n that was just what having a sister was like. They could argue like no body's business, but they loved each other more than anything.

Growing up, they were all they had. And so, they both earned not just a sibling: but a best friend.

Gathering his thoughts back to the day ahead, Y/n left the shower and walked over to his wardrobe - a finger flipping off the camera as he did. It was morning, he was awake, therefore nothing was his chosen thing to care about. That was what inspired the confidence to leave the bathroom still naked and change in his room.

His head still felt fuzzy, but he managed to pull on his pants, shirt, and tie. He didn't tie it though, it just laying haphazardly under his collar - sleeves rolled up messily, and braces not even up on his shoulders. He put his shoes on, but didn't bother tying them. These were jobs for post-coffee Maizono.

He started his trudge to the hall, his digital watch reading '07:14am'. He didn't have the energy to open the doors, so instead just leant against them as he entered - taking the first table available and leaning back in the chair far enough to lean his head on the wall.

As if timed, Kirigiri left the kitchen with two cups in hand. Her expression held nothing, as to be expected, but the sight caught the disheveled PI's attention.

Without a word, she took the seat by Y/n and placed the coffee mug down in front of him. A wide, genuine smile came from Maizono in return - and before he could say his thanks, she spoke.

"Returning the favour." Kirigiri stated, blowing the steam off her mug and taking a sip.

"Well thank you, I feel like I just fell off a train - so this helps."

"You look like it." Was the retort, with no emotion to back it up. Y/n cocked a brow.

"Hm. Thats twice now." He observed, referring to what he was starting to understand was Kirigiri joking.

Kirigiri ignored this, creating their comfortable silence. Maizono was fine with this, his headache appreciated the quiet nature of the lilac eyed woman.

Not much time had passed when Sayaka came toddling in to the hall with Neagi. They'd clearly been in conversation for a while, which wasn't a surprise. Sayaka was an early bird, and seemingly enjoyed his company.