39 - I Want You To Roll Like A Pup (2.7k words)

YaYa's POV

Lounging on the mattress, I watched Skaris approach me silently as the trio made themselves comfortable around the round table.

Skaris revealed snippets of conversations he overheard between Bai and Tony, which made Muir and Curtis frown in displeasure.

"Bai's not wrong-I've barely lifted a finger around here compared to her," I combed my hair with a flourish that caught the dim light just so, an air of causality framing my posture, "Why should she worship someone who lazes around all day? Bai is paying her due with her contributions, so I don't see why her attitude matters to you so much."

Just as the words left my mouth, Skaris dropped the bomb about Bai's unrequited affection for Muir.

The revelation hit Muir like a bolt from the blue. His eyes widened in alarm, darting up to meet mine. There was a mix of panic and pleading in his gaze as he hurried to defend himself, the words tumbling out in a rush. "I-I kept my distance. There was no attempt to seduce her or anything of the sort," he stammered, his voice laced with urgency.

"Seems like Muir's attempt at gaining YaYa's favor is backfiring," Vick said, barely able to get the words out through his chuckles as he patted Curtis's shoulder.

Curtis nodded in agreement, a satisfied smile plastered on his face.

Muir left his table and flew toward me, his steps frantic and unsteady. "YaYa, please, I swear, I didn't mean for it to end like this."

I tilted my head to the side, feigning confusion. "I don't see how this is a problem. It's not like you will do anything about it, right? Or did you decide to act on her feelings?"

Muir fell to his knees before me, "I will no longer treat her like my cub."

"I told you to treat her like your cub, to mentor her, not to shelter her like a damsel in distress," I quipped, the smirk on my lips belying the sharpness of my tongue, "If you are so afraid of Bai falling for you, make her hate you. Assign her the grittiest chores ─ make her chop wood, kill and skin the animals, or stop paying for her projects."

"What is a damsel in distress?" asked Curtis.

"It's a term for a female who's seen as helpless and is in need of help."

Muir frowned at me, showing slight anger as he tried to snatch the comb from me, "You never specified into details how I should treat her. I thought you were protective over females and their cubs. You never complained either, so I thought everything was alright."

With a chuckle that held more than a hint of mischief, I avoided him, "Well, you certainly did a good job. So much so that Bai is head over heels for you. Guess it's true what they say ─ you learn the best from your mistakes. And you, my dear birdie, have just been schooled."

My words only seemed to fuel Muir's rage as he tried to catch my comb again. The comb slipped from my fingers, and my laughter echoed through the room as I watched him struggle to pick it up.

Without a moment's hesitation, Muir lunged forward and tackled me, pinning me against the mattress. His breath fanned across my cheek, and I could smell the sweet alcohol on his breath.

"Why are you so mean? I only wanted to take care of her, as you requested," Muir's voice was hoarse and filled with emotions.

I laughed again, and his body tensed, pressing into mine. His chest rose and fell in an agitated rhythm,

"Are you angry at me?" I asked, "Do you feel wronged?"

"You have no idea," Muir replied, his tone gruff.