40 - Let's Switch Roles (2.44k words)

YaYa's POV

"Wake up," I pinched Skaris again, and he groaned, "You are getting carried away."

Skaris's reaction was immediate; his body jolted as if shocked by an invisible current. He took a moment, breathing hard, trying to figure out if he was still dreaming or back in the real world.

I slipped from under his body, "How about I hand over my fabulous female life to you while I take over your male responsibilities?" I picked up my bracelets and put them on, "Lectures and wise words aren't really my thing, so I'll let you step into my shoes and demonstrate to me how thankful I ought to be."

"What are you talking about?" Skaris asked, confusion lacing his tone.

Picking up the remaining anklets, I put on one and locked the remaining around his wrist. When I let go of his hand, the weight caused him to fall down. I caught the bracelet around his right hand before it could hit the ground.

"What is this?" He tried to lift his hand, but it was so heavy that he could barely drag it across the ground.

I helped him up, "Making sure you won't cheat."

Skaris's brows furrowed in concentration as he touched the anklet around his wrist. He tried to lift his hand, but it felt like a mountain was pressing down on him. He let out a grunt of frustration.

I watched him struggle, a small smile playing on my lips. "As long as you have this thing on, you can enjoy the same benefits as me," I tugged at his hand.

His head snapped up, and he stared at me through his blindfold, "You can't be serious," he said, incredulous.

I gave him a look, "Why not? You're the one who wants me to be grateful."

The blindfolded man swallowed hard, his mind racing, "I can't do it. I can't be you."

"Sure you can," I said, grinning, "It's easy. All you have to do is sit back and relax. Everything will be taken care of. Your meals will be prepared for you, your clothes will be washed and mended, and you will be protected and provided for."

"I can't," he repeated, his voice a whisper.

"Why not?"

"I'm a male."

I chuckled, "So what?"

"Males are supposed to work."

"And females are supposed to be pampered," I shot back, "Look, it's not like I'm asking you to do anything difficult. Just sit back and enjoy the fruits of someone else's labor."

Skaris shook his head, "If other males see me sitting back and doing nothing, they'll think I'm weak and lazy."

I sighed, "So what? Who cares what other people think? You said your life will be short-lived anyway. So why waste it working and being miserable when I might betray you at any moment?"

"I'm not wasting it. I'm living it."

"But you're not really living, are you? You're not enjoying yourself. You're just existing. That's what you said," I chuckled, "Since I don't know the meaning of hardship, I'll try to work until my body collapses and my belly is empty. Who knows, it might teach me some of the gratitude you spoke about."

"Yaya, you can't," Skaris said, "You shouldn't have to suffer because of me," he argued. His attempt at gaining my favor was coated in a velvety darkness.

"I promise I'll be enjoying myself," I said, laughing at his bad acting skills.

Skaris fell silent, his mind reeling. He knew he couldn't change my mind, so he should as well make me regret my decision.