chapter thirteen

Good people get good things

Good people get good things. Good people deserve good things. That's what Chris has always believed.

It's like the golden rule, only in reverse. And he knows that Shea is one of the good ones.

She's been there for him through thick and thin, and she's always been nothing but supportive. Even when everyone else doubted him, she believed in him. And now that she's carrying their child, he feels like the luckiest man alive.

But he also keeps in mind her past, and he knows that it's not easy for her to forget what Cassie did to them. He wishes he could take away all her pain, all the hurt. He wants her to know that she's the only one for him, and that he would never do anything to hurt her again.

Lately, he's been finding himself having the deepest conversations with her, sometimes about their future, sometimes about the past. He knows she's still hurting. He wants her to know that he'll always be there for her, through thick and thin, and that he'll never stop loving her, no matter what.

"When I was a kid, I always thought I'd marry like ... a politician or something." Shea said, laughing as she lay on her side, propped up on her elbow. It was late, and they were in bed together, the lights low. The weight of her body against his was comforting, and he couldn't help but smile at the sight of her.

"A politician?" Chris chuckled, turning his head to face her. "What made you think that?"

"I don't know. I just ... always figured I'd be with someone who is important." She shrugged, her cheeks flushing slightly. "I never imagined it would be you."

"What life did you picture for yourself?" Chris asked, gently tracing his fingers along her arm. He wanted to know everything about her, to know what made her tick. "What were your dreams?"

"To live on a giant ranch, in a huge modern victorian mansion. With horses, and a G-Wagon, and a personal chef. You know, the usual," she laughed, nuzzling her head into his chest. "Having a ranch house has always been my dream."

"You want a ranch house?" Chris asked, surprised. "You never mentioned that before."

"Yeah ... on a big land. Kind of like a lodge kind of thing." She paused, taking a deep breath. "I always wanted to raise kids in a place like that. With plenty of room to run and play. And a barn with animals. I wanna be like, a country mom."

He smiled, running his fingers through her hair. "You never know what might happen." He paused, his gaze searching hers. "I'd love to give you that. Whatever you want, Shea. Anything. You've always been the best thing that's ever happened to me, and I'm so grateful for you."

Shea smiled back up at him, her eyes shining with unshed tears. "I love you too, Chris. You're the best thing that's ever happened to me too."

"Start looking for a house." Chris said, his voice firm. "I want to give you that ranch house. Whatever it takes, I'll make it happen." He kissed her forehead gently. "You deserve it."