chapter fourteen

Chris sighs as he watches Shea read a book as she sits on the sofa, one hand on her swollen belly

Chris sighs as he watches Shea read a book as she sits on the sofa, one hand on her swollen belly. "Are you for real ignoring me?" he asks, walking over to her. He sits down next to her and takes her hand in his, giving it a squeeze. "I just wanted to check in on you, babe."

Shea snatches her hand away, glaring at him. "I was just reading!" she says defensively. "And I'm fine. Leave me alone." She moves a little further away from him, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Don't be childish." Chris reaches out, grabbing her arm gently and pulling her closer. "Look at you. You're not fine. You're tired, and you're grumpy. I just want to help." He kisses her forehead, then presses his lips against hers, trying to coax her into kissing back.

But Shea turns her head, refusing to kiss him back. "I don't want to kiss you. I just want to be left alone." She says, pulling away from him.

"What did I do?" Chris asks, genuinely confused. "I'm just trying to take care of you." He sighs, rubbing his face with his hands before looking at her again. "Fine. Be that way." He stands up and walks away, going into the kitchen. A few minutes later, he returns with a plate of food. "Here. Eat something." He hands it to her before sitting down on the other side of the sofa.

"No. Why don't you just give that to Jasmine?" She rolls her eyes, and that is when he understands that she's jealous. He chuckles, shaking his head. "Baby, I love you. You know that. You're the only one for me." He reaches out, taking her hand in his. "I'm sorry if I'm being annoying. I just want to make sure you're okay."

"I don't like you right now, because why would you dance with her?" Shea asks, looking away from him. "It's not fair. It just makes me feel..." She trails off, not sure how to explain the complicated emotions swirling inside of her. "I just want to be the only one for you."

"You are." Chris says, squeezing her hand. "She's my best friend. We've known each other for years. I can't just cut her off like that. But you know that doesn't mean anything to me." He kisses her forehead, then takes a bite of the food he brought her. "So, eat something. Please. You need your strength."

"No, because why is she like -- all your dick, like ... and she's the one that fucked you over while you were together." Shea says, her voice quivering with anger and hurt.

"It was just an innocent dance, Shea." Chris says, trying to calm her down. "I swear, you know me better than that. I would never do anything to hurt you." He takes another bite of his food, hoping she'll eventually eat something too. "Come on, sweetheart. Eat something for the baby."

"No. You fucked my best friend, so you would definitely hurt me again." Shea looks away from him, feeling tears welling up in her eyes.

"Thats in the past." Chris says, wishing he could make her understand. "I want us to move forward, to be happy together. I want to be the best father I can be to our child." He places his hand gently on her stomach, feeling their baby kick. "I'm so sorry for everything that happened, Shea. I promise you, I love you and I always will."