chapter seventeen

JUNE 2022 -- SEVEN MONTHS LATER

JUNE 2022 -- SEVEN MONTHS LATER. ℹ️

Seven months later, and Chris still couldn't accept it. He couldn't believe that she had just walked away from him. He had tried everything to win her back. He had written her letters, left her flowers on her doorstep, even showed up at her workplace to beg for her forgiveness. But she never answered any of his attempts. She had completely cut him out of her life.

The only thing left of her he had, was their son. Roman. The now seventh month old boy. Chris had been granted partial custody, but it was still mainly Shea's. And every time he saw him, it tore him apart inside. It was a constant reminder of what he had lost.

He hadn't been in an actual relationship since then. He had just been focusing on himself, and on taking care of Roman. But the ache in his chest was still there.

The emptiness that had consumed him the moment Shea had left was still there.

And he didn't know how to fill it.

He had been using Jasmine as an escape. A way to distract himself from the pain. But it wasn't the same. It wasn't real. It wasn't what he wanted. He wanted Shea. He wanted his family back. But most of all, he wanted her forgiveness.

But he couldn't get that.

On the other hand, Shea was just trying to move on with her life without her ex constantly making shady remarks towards her on instagram. She knew he was still hurt and she was trying to respect that but she couldn't help but feel like he was still being toxic. She didn't understand why he couldn't just let it go and move on with his life.

The past seven months have been good for Shea. She's been running the cosmetic company with her mom, and since she's about to be 21 -- she's soon going to take over the company, earning billions a year. Her life has finally turned around and she couldn't be happier. But there's still a void inside of her, and she can't help but wonder if that void will ever go away.

"Miss? Someone is on the line for you." The receptionist interrupts her thoughts. She takes a deep breath and gets up, walking over to the phone. "Hello?" She asks softly.

"You coming to pick up Roman?" That raspy voice asks.

Shea feels her heart drop to her stomach. Of course it would be him. "Can you keep him for one more night? I have something to do."

"What?" He sounds pissed off. "You've been busy every night this week. I got things to do too, Shea."

"You wanna spend time with your son? Or not?" She says, trying to keep the anger out of her voice. "Your choice." She hangs up before he can respond, feeling guilty and angry at the same time.

All he had been doing was trying to argue with her. Of course she was busy. She was running a company. But he never understood that. He always thought that she should just drop everything to be with him. And now, that she wasn't, he was lashing out.