9. "Heart-hitching Interests"

I am holding out the pack of seeds my dad gave me... to Casey.

He has asked three times now if it's really for him.

Three times, I have said yes.

He had this astonished look on his face and I haven't a clue what he's thinking, but I'm trying so hard not to have my cheeks fluster because I've never seen him with this much expression on his face. When he frowns, he's never sad, just mad. When he smiles it's usually a cocky one. Never a genuine 'I'm happy' smile. Just a slight smirk or a sly grin.

He's not smiling but I can feel something related to happiness.

Yes, I said I can feel it.

It is literally radiating out of him.
It is strong.

For a pack of seeds?

He takes it; his face lighting up even more as he looks from the seeds back to Samson. They start walking, heading to the staircase to go to the rooftop before he actually starts speaking. "Wait, you garden?" Casey questions.

"Yes, with my dad. We have a big greenhouse in our backyard."

"Okay- so why are you giving this to me?"

"We already have a few corpse flowers."

"Samson, this is a titan arum.. this is rare."

"-And we already have some in our backyard. My dad tends to get his hands on some good stuff, I just plant 'em."

"Really?! Can I see it?"

"I mean- yeah, sure."

Did I just involuntarily invite him over?!

Sam watches as Casey carefully puts the seeds in his bag. It was a bit funny to watch.

"Well.. what do you like to plant?"

"My dad plants his fruits and vegetables, grasses and vines, cacti and what not. I do the flowers. I like them big and pretty."

Casey's looking off in the distance, and he smiles
He smiles?! "I like bulb flowers, they look like truffula trees."

"The ones from The Lorax?" Sam questions. "That's cute."

"Cute? Are you trying to flirt?" Casey looks at him and raises an eyebrow.

"No." Sam gives a smug smile. "It is my natural charm."

Oh god, I think I'm hanging out with Danny too much.

"Definitely.." Casey slowly nods his head as he drags the word out, and Sam releases a small smirk from the obnoxious sarcasm in his tone.

Now just imagine an intense moment of silence. As they made it to the top of the final staircase and outside, Casey drew his hair back to the direction of the wind. He continues to stare intently at Sam as he did so, as Sam checked his phone, always welcomed with a spamming groupchat consisting of Kyle, Tanner, Joey, and Dev. A couple texts from Danny as well. Quite a few, also spammed. He just turned his phone off and sighed.

"You're not gonna join them for lunch today, too?" Casey asks, then reminding him of the time he left him. Still, he's been served with no punishment since that day.

Sam shrieks. "Right.. I said sorry. You're not gonna do anything, right?"

"I'm not gonna respond just so I can watch you hang off the edge of your seat." He says, as they approach a bench.

So does that mean no?

Sam shrugs. "You gonna make me beat up one of my friends or something?"

"That wouldn't be a bad idea."