Shang Qinghua

Perhaps he has gotten somewhat distracted trying to sneak away to meet the An Ding peaklord, but who can honestly blame him?

Between studying and all the practice that Jiu-ge has been making him do, it's hard to find time to sneak away. Even if he does have time to spare, it's always with Jiu-ge around.

He's also been spending some time figuring out what the difference is between a Dizi and Xiao flute.

It's not that he doesn't know what they are; he just wasn't all that interested in music in his past life. So, it's hard deciding which one to pick for cultivation.

Jiu-ge hasn't been pushing him to choose, just as long as Shen Yuan doesn't mention a sword; Jiu-ge doesn't even bring it up.

That isn't the same with cultivation though; honestly, it's tough to keep up with all the exercises that Jiu-ge wants him to do. It makes Shen Yuan glad that he wasn't reborn as a human; in a way, he has a head start as a beast.

Now, usually Jiu-ge is with him constantly, except for the few lessons when he locks Shen Yuan at home because he doesn't want to fight about the way he treats the disciples. Honestly, does he think that I don't know what he does even if I don't see it?

But the fact is that the next few days won't be as usual; Jiu-ge is taking the young disciples out on a hunt.

Usually, hunts are completed by disciples independently alone or in groups, but because the younger ones are not familiar with how to do things, they need assistance.

Jiu-ge doesn't like having to attend those hunts, so the number organized falls noticeably short when compared to the Bai Zhan Peak.

Another thing to mention is that Jiu-ge absolutely does not want him to go on this hunt with them. Something about him being too weak, but that's not the point. The point is that he can sneak off to meet Shang Qinghua while Jiu-ge is away.

"I trust that you'll be fine for a couple of days. I've told the kitchens to leave a bowl of food out for you on the porch at the back."

At least I'm not eating raw meat anymore, Shen Yuan thinks to himself while Jiu-ge rants about this for maybe the thousandth time.

"All the disciples on the peak already know you as my cat Jing, so it's fine if you wander around, but make sure to conceal yourself."

"Xiao Yuan, I just have two things to ask of you while I'm away. First, do not change into human form, and second, do not leave the peak." Jiu-ge glares down at him during his last sentence.

Ah, just the two things he'll be doing while Jiu-ge is away. Regardless of that, he smiles, albeit a bit awkwardly, and ushers Shem Jiu out of the bamboo hut.

"Don't worry, gege. You've said this a hundred times; I'll remember." When Shen Yuan sees the tension on Jiu-ge's shoulders slightly melt at that, he feels a bit pitiful. He'll just have to make sure that Shen Jiu never finds out.

Jiu-ge sighs and snaps his fan open in an irritated manner before walking away.

It feels strange to finally have some alone time again. He's been stuck to Jiu-ge's side for months now, and these few weeks as a human, somehow Shen Jiu just seems to get clingier.

Shen Yuan actually waits for a while before doing anything; he wants to be sure that he won't suddenly run into Jiu-ge if they haven't left yet.

About an hour or so has passed; he hasn't really kept track of it. It's probably enough time, so Shen Yuan steps outside and transforms into Jing.

The plan is to transform into Zhong Da, a disciple on Qing Jing Peak. Zhong Da isn't even mentioned in the novel; he's a second son from a pretty well-off family, at least from what Shen Yuan can tell with the little information he has.