The Main Character

With the preparations done, there wasn't actually much to do, and passing time is quite easy when Jiu-ge is just dumping all sorts of cultivation and battle training on you.

Shen Yuan wouldn't say that he could beat a cultivator in a fight, but if it were an average person, he could probably win.

Jiu-ge has told him that he needs to learn the fundamentals of cultivation and music before he can start delving into the actual musical cultivation aspect, but honestly, some of the training is just so boring.

Logically, his cultivation will be stronger if he learns the basics and understands the fundamentals. However, Shen Yuan just isn't all that interested in reading twenty or so books about it.

Jiu-ge says it'll get more interesting once he starts cultivating with a medium, like a sword or instrument in his case. He ended up picking Xiao in the end. He's not even quite sure why; it just felt right.

With his hands full of meditating, sparring, and books, Shen Yuan didn't really have much time to worry about the arrival of the baby protagonist. That was, of course, until the day itself came.

The peak lord meeting was held before the selection, and while it couldn't exactly be called boring, it wasn't really interesting either.

To summarize, it went something like this: most peak lords didn't give a flying duck about Shen Yuan's existence anymore and just carried on with their lives.

Shang Qinghua had apparently decided to very obviously gawk at him with a shocked look. Shen Yuan's not sure if it's because of his closeness to Shen Qingqiu or just the situation in general. Shang Qinghua looks a bit disturbed either way.

Liu Qingge, on the other hand, was too busy showing his disdain for Jiu-ge and only glanced at him, nothing surprising there really.

And then there was Yue Qingyuan, who seems to still have a deep hatred for him. Truly, it's a wonder how he manages to look so friendly with Jiu-ge for a moment, and the next, he's boring holes through Shen Yuan with his glare.

None of the other peak lords seemed to have an opinion on him. Qi Qingqi looked maybe a little amused by Shang Qinghua's and Yue Qingyuan's behavior.

But none of that matters because right now, here he is. He is looking right at the baby protagonist. Luo Binghe is dressed in clothes that look more like rags. The only noticeable thing might be the fake jade pendant hanging by his neck.

Shen Yuan previously convinced Jiu-ge to let him come along, so here he is, being carried around by Jiu-ge while watching Luo Binghe dig a hole in the ground with great effort.

Yue Qingyuan and Jiu-ge stand high and look over as the potential disciples begin to dig. There are hundreds of children just digging.

Shen Yuan found it a bit too simple for a test to enter a great sect, but Airplane actually listed some reasons as to why hole digging is a good way to determine someone's skills and character.

"There seem to be more people than usual this year," Yue Qingyuan mentions. Jiu-ge doesn't respond to that, but Shen Yuan can feel Jiu-ge's fingers slightly twitching while holding him.

After a moment, Liu Qingge comes up to them. He greets Yue Qingyuan while ignoring Jiu-ge. Shen Yuan can't be bothered to listen, so he just shifts his attention to Luo Binghe again.

Well, that's what he tried to do, but apparently it doesn't take long for Liu Qingge and Jiu-ge to start taunting each other. Honestly, it's odd how much the two argue, even when they both just generally dislike talking to people.

Liu Qingge left shortly after, going to train apparently. It looked like Yue Qingyuan and Jiu-ge would actually talk, but Ning Yingying climbed up to interrupt them before Jiu-ge could even say anything.