Chapter Three: Ash & Jenny

When Ash awoke, he smiled and looked over at where Pikachu was sleeping, but then recalled what happened the night before, and frowned with a look of hopelessness. Ash immediately got dressed and walked into the city, hoping to get help.

Almost as soon as he walked into Cerulean City, he saw Officer Jenny.

"Officer Jenny! It's Ash! I need your help!" he shouted.

She looked around her with a puzzled expression, and then walked over to Ash when she finally saw him. "Oh hello, Ash. What brings you into Cerulean City?"

"Pikachu's been kidnapped!" Ash replied, panicking.

"Calm down, it's alright. Do you know who took him?"

"Yes, Team Rocket."

"Team Rocket," Jenny smiled ever so slightly. "You have quite a history with them, don't you, Ash?"

"Yes, Officer Jenny. They've never succeeded at capturing Pikachu before, and I'm really worried."

"Alright, Ash. Just tell me what happened and I'll see what I can do."

Jenny took out a pocket-sized notepad and began jotting down information furiously as Ash explained everything.

"Pikachu and I were camping in the woods outside of the city. We were both asleep when Team Rocket came. I woke up because I heard Pikachu yelling and by then they were already running off into the woods. They carried Pikachu off in a brown bag and I think they were heading towards Viridian City."

"Okay, Ash. I want you to show me where you were camping out."

Ash nodded his head and began to walk out of the city and into the forest, and Officer Jenny followed. The two arrived at the camp site, and Jenny examined the area. Ash pointed at a trail of trampled weeds heading deeper into the forest and said, "They ran that way."

Jenny nodded and walked along the path, with Ash trailing behind her. They continued for about ten minutes without speaking. Then Jenny stopped.

"What's wrong?" asked Ash.

Jenny did not reply. She just stood there, staring ahead. Ash crept up beside her to get a better look. In front of them was a trap, a cage.

"Don't move," Jenny whispered.

All of a sudden, they heard the crunch of leaves behind them. Before they could react, a pair of hands gave them a strong shove to the ground, and they both went unconscious.